Mountain Buzz banner

Sober Cataract Canyon Rafting Trip: Rafting 4 Recovery

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  beanack 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#5 ·
As a moderator (and a person) I would appreciate respectful replies to this. Apparently they try to sponsor folks onto the trip who can't afford it. Recovery is a great thing for some people. I lost a buddy to alcohol who was one of the best of the best river people I have ever known. He got drunk and fell off a small sailboat into one of the lakes up near Seattle.
Several of us as friends has seen something coming for years, but I thought he was on the mend. And he was up near family and friends in the PNW.

So while this may seem like a joke to you heavy drinkers, I sure wish he had found a way to be in the world without booze.

It seems as though they are claiming that OARS is a nonprofit (didn't know that) and not making any money at $1K per person that they are trying to fundraise through indiegogo. I will continue to research a bit and vet this out a bit more but it looks legit.

#6 ·
Carvedog, Thanks for speaking up. As someone who has a family member in recovery, I appreciate the work they are doing and the opportunity they are providing. Some people on this forum have such weak self esteem that they have to make it all about them.

#7 · (Edited)
OARS has a non-profit wing, the OARS Foundation.

I'd appreciate some respect for these guys too. So what if they aren't doing it your way? Let's see a little more tolerance.

-AH

#8 ·
Sober Cataract Canyon Rafting Trip

Here are my responses:
Treemanji:
Q: Is this a private or commercial trip?
A: This is a "public" trip sponsored by a commercial company as a legitimate non-profit. Anyone with good intentions around recovery can come.

Streetdoctor:
Q:Any hot nymphomaniacs on the trip?
A: Yes. Ill be there.

yetigonecrazy:
Comment: you drive shuttle, i'll bring the beer!
Reply: Sounds like you could use this trip

Carvedog:
Comment: As a moderator (and a person) I would appreciate respectful replies to this. Apparently they try to sponsor folks onto the trip who can't afford it. Recovery is a great thing for some people. I lost a buddy to alcohol who was one of the best of the best river people I have ever known. He got drunk and fell off a small sailboat into one of the lakes up near Seattle.
Several of us as friends has seen something coming for years, but I thought he was on the mend. And he was up near family and friends in the PNW.

So while this may seem like a joke to you heavy drinkers, I sure wish he had found a way to be in the world without booze.

It seems as though they are claiming that OARS is a nonprofit (didn't know that) and not making any money at $1K per person that they are trying to fundraise through indiegogo. I will continue to research a bit and vet this out a bit more but it looks legit.

Reply: Thank you.......righteous.
Totally legit....contact me if you have question

Rich:
Comment: Carvedog, Thanks for speaking up. As someone who has a family member in recovery, I appreciate the work they are doing and the opportunity they are providing. Some people on this forum have such weak self esteem that they have to make it all about them.

Reply: Truth

Andy H:
Comment:
I'd appreciate some respect for these guys too. So what if they aren't doing it your way? Let's see a little more tolerance.

Reply: Thank you Andy......

#15 ·
Just got off Cataract last week. Great time and even at low water the rapids where BIG. I flipped at #29 and was my first flip ever and been boating since 2001. Huge wave train and then a massive hole at the end which was tough to see as the wave train was huge. Stay slightly right and avoid the hole. You don't need beer with rapids like that. Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.