Shuttling Upper Colorado Question - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2016   #1

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Shuttling Upper Colorado Question

Want to do an overnight from Pump to Catamount. I've forked over the $45 in the past to Rancho Del Rio for shuttle service, but I really don't want to drop $70 to get shuttled from Catamount.

I could take two cars, but that sucks. Does anyone have luck hitch hiking out there? Can't see it being a big problem from State Bridge to Pumphouse, but I feel like I'd have a much harder time getting back from Catamount. Maybe I'm wrong.

If anyone else is running that stretch tomorrow and wants to group up with my wife, dog, and I, let me know. Just floating and fishing!

fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2016   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Although the weekends are more heavily trafficked, below SB and two rivers it's much less so on Colorado River road. If you run above SB I doubt you'll have problems hitching a ride. Also, Rancho failed to shuttle my vehicle a couple weeks ago when I left a message. I had to hike 5 miles back to my car in the dark. I'll make sure I talk to alive person if I use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Vailboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
I've had good luck with Rancho shuttling, they even came back for my car once when I was late to the river. But it's sketches me out every time just leaving a message. I usually forget to tell them something and end up having to leave two messages. Sorry it didn't work for you!

Not worth $70 to me to pay for that shuttle, though. Not saying it's an unreasonable price (two hours round trip for two of their employees for my car). My suspicions of the catamount area being a poor place to hitch from sound about in line with your description, so we'll just take two cars. Thanks for the info!
Old 07-15-2016   #4

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ive used Rancho in the past with good luck. Last Tuesday however, wasn't so great. Paid $35 for a Pumphouse to Rancho at 11:00 am. Was told my truck would be there by 3. Pulled into Rancho at 4:45 (damn that wind) and no truck.... walked up to the office and was told they were just going to do it, I could wait there or ride in the van and drive it myself. After a quick look at the "drivers" that were going to be running the shuttle, ( I think I was the least high person there, and that's not saying much ) I opted to ride along and drive my own (brand new) truck back. There was no offer of discount, refund, or a free shuttle next time.... I don't wish ill will to Rancho, but I doubt I will be using them in the future...

Happy Floating!
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #5

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon View Post
Ive used Rancho in the past with good luck. Last Tuesday however, wasn't so great. Paid $35 for a Pumphouse to Rancho at 11:00 am. Was told my truck would be there by 3. Pulled into Rancho at 4:45 (damn that wind) and no truck.... walked up to the office and was told they were just going to do it, I could wait there or ride in the van and drive it myself. After a quick look at the "drivers" that were going to be running the shuttle, ( I think I was the least high person there, and that's not saying much ) I opted to ride along and drive my own (brand new) truck back. There was no offer of discount, refund, or a free shuttle next time.... I don't wish ill will to Rancho, but I doubt I will be using them in the future...

Happy Floating!

Yea, they're definitely not professionals, but what can we really expect? Last guy left his water bottle in my car and it leaked on my passenger seat.
Old 07-19-2016   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Update: drove two cars out there from Denver. Was not worth it. Maybe if we had more people, but driving solo sucked, traffic sucked, and we totally could have hitch hiked it back to our car from the takeout.

Even paying the 70 bucks for the shuttle would have been better (plus we'd save gas for one car and the $10 in FS permits). Live and learn, I guess.