Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 10-10-2014   #1
Cincinnati, Ohio
Paddling Since: 07
Serious TOPIC-- I want to know what the best waterproof boombox is on the market?

I am looking for the best submersible waterpoof set of speakers. We are taking our Grand Canyon trip leaving end of October and I want to buy a speaker system or boombox that is ipod or bluetooth compatible for campsites and on the rafts.

Does anyone have a product that is very dear to their heart. I am unimpressed with the Eco Boost sound quality and volume. I have noticed a few other products floating about but I want someone to come forward with something I am unfamiliar with that I cannot pass up.

We leave in 3 weeks. Please let me know what is out there and available for us. $200 is the most I am hoping to pay.

dickermk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #2
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I really like my Eton Soulra but it does have some less than perfect things.
I do like the sound.
It is water resistant, not 'waterproof'. Since my phone is in it I put it away during the big rapids. I did leave it out in the rain the other day when floating and it is fine. They shower test to some rating but I am not going to run it through big rapids.

It does have a solar panel to charge the battery but when you have the panel in the sun the iPhone overheats and shuts down. Small white scarf over the phone part solves that.

It does charge the ipod/iphone when it is playing music. If you leave the music player in it, it continues to charge and runs the battery down. So when I shut it down I pull the phone out. I also used some foam in the slot where the phone goes to keep it from moving around.
Also mine drains the battery in about two weeks if I don't unhook the battery under the cover. I bought two extra batteries ( $7 each) and take a small recharging unit along.
Get an extra screw for the battery cover too. If you have one of the really big phablet type phones it won't fit in. ipod touch and iphone work great. There is an auxiliary input 3.5mm plug in but it won't charge the device.
That is all I have. Less than perfect but would do again. Under a $100.

Amazon.com : Etón Soulra Solar Powered Sound System for iPod and iPhone (Black) : MP3 Players & Accessories

I like to have river tunes.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #3
Belgrade, Montana

sorry I don't have any advice but I do predict a series of rants from folks that don't like music on the river... at least that's what happened the last time this topic was discussed

There have been a few threads on charging devices while on the Grand, there may be some other options in those threads if carvedog's solution isn't for you...
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #4
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Serious TOPIC-- I want to know what the best waterproof boombox is on the mar...

I like the Eco Rox for in the boat. At camp I use a Dewalt job site radio which sounds great and is water resistant. I soaked mine on the MFS this year and it wouldn't play for about an hour. Just needed to dry out but it was soaked. I use the 20volt 4ah and one last for 4-5 days. They now have a 5ah which I will be buying. I also carry a light and USB charger that work with the same batteries. I use Dewalt tools professionally so it makes sense for me to go this route. I carry several batteries for a trip. On the grand this spring I will bring 8 or so. Even the 5ah only weigh about a pound. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1412978434.423304.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	363.2 KB
ID:	9019Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1412978447.480187.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	9020Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1412978462.681887.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	9021

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #5
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

and to the music haters who want to roll in the worms ( nice graphic elkhaven) don't assume that he wants to fill the canyon with music and piss off all the other boaters out there...

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm going to echo what elkhaven just said and take it one step further. Please be sure to check with your Trip Leader and the other members of the group to make sure they're ok with music on the water and in camp. I've been on a few trips where this was an issue. The bottom of the Canyon is generally not a great place to have issues.
waterismyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #7
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have the one above and I like it. Not super loud but you can control the volume and skip tracks from the unit. It also charges from a USB port. I would say if you want music on your own boat that is up to you. If that cause dis-function in the group, there maybe other issues at hand. Just be respectful. Have a great time in the ditch!
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #8
C. Springs, Colorado
I can't get the link above to work, but I love my Ecoxgear box. It's waterproof and holds my Ipod with room for extra batteries. The three AA's last for days and I take a solar charger for the Ipod. It gets loud enough for everyone around the campfire to here it.....or soft enough you can listen to it on your boat without disturbing anyone. Here is a link to the one I have. It's hard to beat the price too. Amazon.com: Eco Extreme 3.5mm Aux Waterproof Portable Speaker Case (Orange): MP3 Players & Accessories
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #9
Salida, Colorado
Im with Eagle Mapper and caverdan. The Eco Extreme is awesome. Water proof, floats, hi-vis and compatible with anything that has accepts a head phone jack. Not super loud but loud enough to have fun.
Was on a lwr San juan trip, someone said that speakers aren't allowed on the river, "If you can pay an instrument or sing along you shouldn't be here." Turned away and turned it up, sang along and rowed away. ha!
Fltwtr-risntrotR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #10
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Very serious topic...

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences. https://garna.org
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote