Mountain Buzz banner

Selway Permit- July 2 2017

7K views 15 replies 15 participants last post by  cowboy907 
#1 ·
I was lucky enough to score a July 2nd Selway permit this year. My regular crew and I, all experienced on the MFSR and other rivers, but most have never ran the Selway. I know it's a different beast and is why I'm posting. Any recommends about water level for that time, guidebooks or info I can get my hands on, maybe suggestions for some experienced Selway boaters to join us. It's important they would be a good fit with our crew. Is it necessary and important to have kayakers on this trip?
Any suggestions would be great!
Steve

#2 ·
Lucky! Flows should be ideal then as far as not too high or low. You can read and run most of it at those levels. You don't have to have kayakers unless you want too. Scout Ladle on the right. rivermaps makes a nice Selway guide. Karen Kidd can do your shuttle. Have fun.

ps. watch out for bears.

#6 ·
Hi Steve and welcome to the buzz. It would be extremely unlikely that I could run the Selway at that time. I do a lot for Allen and Co. the week before they get here. Yes I am in Bellevue and work in Ketchum. I have done it five times now but never at lower water - happy to help if I can. Always wanted to fish it at lower water. Congrats.

#7 ·
Congratulations! I had a July 10 permit last year. In February it looked like it was going to be optimal water levels for early July. But with the heat wave that came in the early spring the water levels were very low by July. Keep a good eye on the water levels as you start approaching your date. Keep in mind that there are two gauges for the Selway. One at the bottom and one at the top. Also the snow water content maps can be very helpful in predicting how flows will be affected. Keep an eye out for rattlesnakes. We saw 12 on our first trip a few years ago. You would be served well to have a lead boatman that knows the river. A lot of stuff is read and run but there are plenty of spots that could sneak up on you.
It's a spectacular trip! You're going to love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#8 ·
I have a friend...

Not sure how to get a private message to you- call Float Alaska and I can pass on a friends number- He has been down 3 out of the last 4 years and can help

I was lucky enough to score a July 2nd Selway permit this year. My regular crew and I, all experienced on the MFSR and other rivers, but most have never ran the Selway. I know it's a different beast and is why I'm posting. Any recommends about water level for that time, guidebooks or info I can get my hands on, maybe suggestions for some experienced Selway boaters to join us. It's important they would be a good fit with our crew. Is it necessary and important to have kayakers on this trip?
Any suggestions would be great!
Steve

#9 ·
Congrats, Haystack! As Mowgli, said you're going to love it.
We got a July 13 launch in '14 and there was still plenty of water. We actually launched from the campground (lightly rigged) on White Cap Creek and did final rigging at the ramp. We did 7 days/6 nights.

Only one person in our group had run it before and it was helpful, but it's not totally necessary. It is mostly read and run. The newer Rivermaps guide was very helpful.
We had one boat get a little stuck in Ping Pong alley, but no big deal. We did a layover at Tony Point and hiked the trail to scout Double Drop, Wa-Roots, and Ladle. We also hiked up to Moose Creek Ranger Station. Goat Creek was everyone's favorite rapid. If we could have carry our boats up to run it again, we would have. Reminded me of my kayaking days in WV & NC.

We had a 16' raft stuck in Ladle. Not pinned, he was floating the whole time, just pushed into a area surrounded by rocks. We pulled him out with throw rope. We scouted Wolf Creek and got some great photos of us running it.

I recommend trying for Tango Bar camp if it works for your schedule. Run left and be ready grab the eddy on the left at the bottom of the rapid. I wasn't ready and missed the pull in. I eddied out on the right. We got a rope over to me and we got pulled across. It was a wild ride. There's a much more involved story, but I won't go into it here. :) It's a really nice camp and it was worth the effort to stay there.

Damn. Brings back memories. Like a lot of folks, it's probably our favorite river out west.

+1 on the rattlesnakes. Saw 3 or 4 at the first camp, Running Creek.

Have fun!

#10 ·
So maybe I'll try to jump in this thread. I won a may 24th permit...i'm not sure where to go from here. Biggest water i've run is the Grand (3 trips in the past 5 years) after that cataract canyon, west water between 3500 and 8000 a little boating in the PNW(white salmon, wind, klickitat) I've taken a few SWR classes, CPR, a guid school through Wet planet in Hussum. I think I'm trying to find someone that knows the river/area to help plan the trip as well as a few more boaters to join. Hola if you have any suggestions. Thanks CHRiS

#12 ·
Well I was Lucky enough to run that river in late may a couple years ago. I think we had slightly less than average water for date. I think we put in on May 26th. We were lucky and had someone very familiar with the river on our trip. That said, I think it is very run-able with a solid group! Scout often. Be organized with your order and spacing. There are huge features with lots of flipping opportunities, but there are good lines through most of it! A few lines where you will be puckered! If you have a flip, it will be a challenging chase and re-flip. The river moves very fast so scout time and camp time are plentiful. The shuttle and and getting there and back are pretty big logistics also. PM me if you want more thoughts and facts. It is a great Adventure!

#13 ·
6 ft and dropping yes please!
5 ft and rising no thanks.

They typically push to get the road open for first outfitter trips. It's worth getting ahold of the paradise outfitters and stay at their place the night before to skip the launch day camp break down.

Double drop is a wild ride if you run left at the top but the right to left line is good to go.

It's worth reading Pam Houston's account of their high water single boat trip.
Have a great trip and be safe.

#16 ·
Here is my Selway experience-
Trip 1-May 2006. It was a good snow year for Bitterroot. We pulled mid May trip. At put in gauge read nearly 6 feet, I believe 5'8. We figured no way it get much bigger. Had a nice couple days however record temps descended upon us, water rose significantly. One of our boats flipped on day three, forget name of rapid, but they were in the water for awhile. Water was high enough that we could not stop anywhere. Only chance to eddy out was to wrap bowline around a tree and watch your raft slam against rocks. Made it to Moose Creek to be greeted by USFS volunteers. Told us we were the only ones on the river and that it was at unprecedented levels. After scout of Double Drop and others we decided not a chance. We hiked all of our gear up to Landing Strip (8 rafts) and flew out.

Trip 2 Mid June 2014- Stuck it, was a great trip, awesome levels. Great group and found our buried bottle of whiskey from the first trip.

Overall-one of the last great trips. Up there with GC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.