Old 04-08-2014   #31
U not daho, Idaho
Paddling Since: noon
you bet. this should you give you a good idea of what it's like at 500-700 cfs.
long video, but...

dryfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014   #32
Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Sunshine San Juan

Just pulled off a couple days ago. Launched April 6 on a 6 day trip Sand Island to Clay Hills. Flows were 510->600-> 400 and dropped to 375cfs on our last day. We had perfect weather 80 degrees and the only wind was on the first day and blew hard until 3am that night. Amazing canyon and while the river was low I only parked on some rocks above Johns canyon and one or two sandbars at the bottom but no big deal. I was in a loaded down 16 footer with the girlfriend and a bunch of gear and shit tons of ice and beer and good food. Government was a breeze but I could see how you could have to do some rope work if you messed up, and the sandbars were easy to read as far as I'm concerned, but less experienced boaters might find it tricky to read. i.e. (I have 25 MFS and Selway trips each all mostly low water) There is something definitely weird about floating on 6 inches of water, we would get out in the middle of the river and cool off and stand in the beach sand, which I can say I have never done in Idaho . I'll be back for sure. On a side not we used Jim Hardin i want to say for our shuttle. Super nice guy, came and met us at the ramp and gave us some good info and provided a reliable shuttle. Kept the rig at his house till the day before we took off, nice to know as I have heard that clay hills has issues with break ins.

When you spend your life in the rain, you learn to walk between the drops.
6FEETandRISING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #33
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1991
We just missed the current 1000cfs flows by one day! We ran a 16ft from Bluff to Mex Hat in two days. We launched at 480 and got off at 380. Still moving at 2-3mph in the flat flows. You had to keep an eye out for gravel bars but at low water their lots easier to see. Popped a lot of oars... found bottom a few times when dipping for a pull. Best weather for sure!

PS - If your getting a shuttle Jim's your man.

Chilli is offline   Reply With Quote