Old 11-13-2013   #1
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1987
San Juan Plan B - Week of Thanksgiving

Have been gearing up for a lazy, week float from Sand Island to Mexican Hat during the week of Thanksgiving. There will be some family who are completely green and don't have a ton of cold weather gear. My wife & I have some extra cold weather gear, but we just checked the current weeks forecast & Sunday is forecast for a low temp between -6 to -18 - I have gear that can handle that for myself, wife & daughters, but not the rest of the group.

My thought is to have a Plan B ready in the event we have a similar forecast as we approach our launch, but I'm drawing a blank on other runs in the general area that we can quickly and easily change to, that wouldn't experience similar or colder weather.

Perhaps the White Rock Canyon run supplemented with the Racecourse (both on the Rio Grande)? Taos Box, unfortunately, would not be an option given the skill level of some participants.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

noneuclidean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #2
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

I like marks idea. Cisco thru professor valley as a backup. Aspect should have a good amount of sun to keep thing a bit more toasty.

JustinJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #3
Bailey, Colorado
-6 to -18? Just looked at the ten day forecast, nothing below +23 expected for the overnight lows.....
Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I agree with Beeks. The forecast I looked at doesn't show anything getting close to below zero.....

I don't see anything else in the 4-Corners region being significantly warmer than the San Juan. You would have to drop some more elevation and get even further south, and I don't think anything in Arizona has water this time of year.

Whiterock isn't going to be any warmer than the San Juan, most likely colder. It's not that far from the Santa Fe ski area....
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #5
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
+1 on the above temp. comments above. -6 to -18 are mid winter temps in Salt Lake City at elevation. Extended forecast temps. for Bluff are looking like highs in the 50's and lows in the mid to upper 20's for Thanksgiving week. Still pretty darn cold. My Plan B would be golf in St. George.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #6
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1987

Yeah, it looks like there was a forecast glitch when my wife and I were looking. Thanks everyone!
noneuclidean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013   #7
whitewater, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I think those -6 degree temps are centigrade, not fahrenheit.

geezerboater is offline   Reply With Quote