Old 02-04-2016   #1
San Bernardino, California
Paddling Since: 1988
Salt River with a twist

I just wanted to give a quick update on the potential of my wife and I acquiring a Salt River permit this spring.
As I mentioned before, in my previous thread, my wife and I intended to apply for a Salt River permit.
We submitted our permits last week and are now keeping our fingers crossed. We chose two different sets of dates, so that we would not find ourselves with two permits at the same time if we happened to get lucky. The potential dates for our first departure would be March 21, 23, & 24. The potential dates for our second departure would be March 28, 30, & 31. If we get a permit, this trip will serve as our meet and greet for our upcoming October Grand Canyon trip.
We have had a tremendous amount of responses from individuals looking to join our Grand Canyon trip. The interest is higher than I had ever imagined.
We are holding out on inviting the final three couples until we can have a chance to have a formal meet and greet. The obvious goal is to obtain a permit for the Salt, and have a fun time on a five day trip, meeting each other, and narrowing down our decision. We are planning to invite six couples on our potential Salt permit.
I appreciate all the communication that took place previously, even when it became a bit prepubescent and occasionally uncalled for. I realized that was a likely outcome prior to my post, however, I have been humbled with the private conversations that I have now had with other boaters who have expressed a keen interest in joining us. I am happy to be the one who has opened these waters so to speak.
Please take time to understand our intentions, and the activities we will engage in on our Salt River permit before responding. Private messages are the best way to keep things cordial and above the belt.
Please keep in mind, we are looking for like minded individuals in their mid forties to early sixties, , and most importantly, we are looking for your trust.
I look forward to hearing from anyone interested in joining us.
Have a wonderful weekend.

dirtyrodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016   #2
West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I once did a Salt River trip as a warm up to the Grand with a particular group and its a great trip for that purpose.

Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #3
San Bernardino, California
Paddling Since: 1988
I had not been able to write an update with much good news in the last few weeks. My wife and I did not receive a permit for the Salt this year. A disappointment, of course, but we had other coals in the fire.
Last night I was contacted by a couple who had been enticed to join us on our Grand Canyon trip in October. They had, however, a family commitment that was problematic during our trip's dates. Last night, I checked my email, and was informed that they had rescheduled, are 100% committed to being on our Grand trip, if we all meshed well, and the surprise of the year, they had an April 12, 2016 Salt River permit, and were willing to let us turn their trip into our meet and greet.
The trip is on! I am sorry this might be late notice to some whom I have been corresponding with, however, I hope that the emails I sent last night to each and every couple that I have been communicating with, will receive a response, and that we will have a group of eight couples enjoying the beauty of all that surrounds us on the Salt River.
Once again, private messages are best.
We have just over six weeks to plan, which will not be a problem. Please let me know your intentions no later than Wednesday, March 2, 2016.
I look forward to hearing from all of you.
If you are unfamiliar with our groups intentions, please do your research.You can find out more details by contacting me directly, or reading my previous Grand Canyon post.
Our Grand Canyon permit still has space for two more adventurous couples.
All the best, and thank you.
dirtyrodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #4
Mad Scientist/Creeker
Hate to be the bearer of bad news here for what sounds like quite an interesting time but the Salt, barring any freak snow storms in early April, will not be running April 12. There's probably less than 1% chance that will happen. It is running off what snowpack it has as we speak.
Evan Stafford
Cub boater: "What do the spiders mean?" Old fart boater: "Trust your intuition." CRCII
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #5
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
Very true...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #6
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I too was disappointed by a Salt permit in hand that won't have runnable flows.

Alternative meet and greet runs would include Chama, San Juan, Ruby/HT/Westwater, Labyrinth, and Cataract which should all be flowing at boatable levels in April, if not right now. Not sure what California has to offer, but you will likely need to focus on runs north of 4 corners for such a trip if you want it to happen this spring.

Permitting will make that difficult and since you have to rely on cancellations at this point for anything worthwhile, these runs may be easier to get access to than some other multi day options. Is Nor Cal or Oregon an option?

A meet and greet trip with strangers you may end up spending three weeks with in a very intimate situation is a good idea. Good luck!

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote