Old 02-06-2014   #41
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by GC Guide View Post
Sounds like Kinsail has a mess on their hands!
somethings up? my wife pulled a permit for late april and we applied for march 16th. Hopefully don sullivan or kinsail clears this up!

shoptech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #42
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Same - late April permit after a request for the first week. Giving out permits on dates the applicant can't go sounds like Kinsail made a real hash of this. Unless you're in a position to pick up cancellations, I bet there are going to be a bunch this year! I've got a call in to Don, haven't heard anything back yet.
__________________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #43
Jenks, Oklahoma
I agree on something is up with Kinsail.

Myself and two long time Salt Buds all applied for around the first of april and all of us got zero.

Just got a call from a bud who applied middle of march and got a permit for middle of april on a date he did not put down as alternate.

Funny stuff happening.

I just looked at Hannigan Meadows and it looks real low on snow.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #44
I just sent an email to Don Sullivan asking him to take a look at this thread and comment. hopefully he has something to say that will will either clarify what is going on or point out something fishy.....
leo_amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #45
., Arizona
Paddling Since: 2010
If anyone can't go on the dates they were offered, i live in the Phoenix area and would love to get a chance to float the Salt River Wilderness. Let me know if you'd like to transfer permits if possible, if not I've got my eyes on the cancelations.
Or if you are going and want a kayak (self support) to accompany you, shoot me a message, always a good time meeting new people on the river.
I did not get drawn for a permit but will be up there on March 22-23rd for a swiftwater rescue course and am planning on doing the day run at least the day before or after.

-Me French
Mr French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #46
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post the question of how low is too low, we put on once at 900 and we made it through but i swore off another run at that low level. it wasn't so much the rock dodging but more the picking among several very shallow channels, most of which end in shoals or sand bars. it was tedious. the rapids themselves were fine, including quartzite. corkscrew was very interesting however and we had a couple boats get into trouble on that one. eye of the needle was a blast and the maze was very cool because you couldn't see around the rocks to know where you were going, very fun...
We launched last year at about 1,200 (night before) and dropping. By the time we hit Quartzite, it was down to about 850. Had the same experience described above. Most of the rapids are fun, but it's what is in-between that is tedious and far more work than I had hoped for. If you know where the channels are (as a few folks did that passed us a few times) it may be a little better, but still a lot of work.

Quartzite was a flipper for anything over 14' for sure. We had a 16 footer flip, my 14 footer made it through with a brief moment stuck in the slot, but bounced it through. Talked to another commercial guide, and they flipped the bigger boats too. I didn't think Corkscrew was any big deal, but I can see how it could be taken for granted after Quartzite. It pools up plenty between the two, so just don't let your guard down for Corkscrew!

I also have sworn off the salt for these water levels. I'd say 1,000cfs is the minimum I'd want to run it again at, as I think that would be just enough to get through Quartzite un-scathed and just enough to cover up a lot of the rock gardens and make it less tedious. 1,500 or more is probably ideal, but it's been 25 years prior to last year since I got to run it at those levels.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #47
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by jmacn View Post
What's the lowest anyone has kayaked/IKed the wilderness? I've got my sights set on a pre-permit launch in a few weeks. I'm hoping for 300...
Four years ago I kayaked from the highway through the wilderness in one day at around 8000 or 9000 cfs. Probably wouldn't go back unless it was higher.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #48
Phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
Permits were released today, needless to say I wasn't drawn. No worries cause there's no snow up in the White Mtn's anyway. Think I'll just walk the Salt this year!
wutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #49
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Applied for 4/1,2,3 but on the website it looks like I won a 4/24 launch. I can't go then, but at least I'm a Winner, I guess.
This is an extremely weird way to run a lottery.
I have not received an email yet, has everyone else received one at this point?
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014   #50
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
I have not received an email yet, has everyone else received one at this point?
Yes, for a date that will not work for me either.

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote