Old 08-19-2015   #11
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Paulster - that was exactly my experience. We did bring an old sleeping bag to wrap the block in, and cut it with chain saw within the hour - enough to fill 3 big coolers and it was great quality ice. But forking over cash at 0630 in a driveway to way sketchy characters was beyond weird...
tmacc - thanks! will give them a call, their location is great! SYOTR.

B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #12
Ford's meat locker in Provo layer froze some coolers for us for us about 5 years ago for a July Grand trip. It was a novel request for them, but they were happy to take our money. They have a huge walk-in freezer--like an entire basement. We filled the coolers with our food and had them add a couple inches of water a day, and picked them up about 6 days later.

Duck taped them shut and wrapped the coolers in burlap that we (or the rapids) kept wet for an evaporative air conditioning effect. Clearly marked with "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL DAY X"

Opened one cooler on Day 12 of a this July trip, with plenty of ice still intact. Once you open them, it disappears fast though. And this was just a regular Sam's club Igloo cooler, nothing too fancy. I wouldn't use this technique for days 1-6 or so, though or you'll just have to leave your cooler open for half a day so the block will unfreeze. Just use jugs or blocks for the coolers for those days.

If you have a meat locker, cold storage or walk-in freezer connection in your neighborhood, strongly recommend this approach for a Grand Canyon Trip.

Its honestly a bit overkill for a Main Salmon trip though ... just freeze jugs of water in a chest freezer and they've always lasted until day 7 or 8 for us if you keep the coolers shut -- and since its jugged, you can include that in your water supply.

benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #13
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2013
I've gotten block ice from the Harmon's on highland and 33rd south. I hear Fresh Market on Highland and 45th south also has some.
thepudgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #14
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by thepudgeman View Post
I've gotten block ice from the Harmon's on highland and 33rd south. I hear Fresh Market on Highland and 45th south also has some.
Is it compressed ice or solid blocks?
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #15
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2013
I honestly can't say, i don't know how to tell the difference. We take them on all the trips we do, 5 days on Lodore first week in July and they kept our coolers cold right to the end.
thepudgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #16
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I've never seen anything but compressed ice at grocery stores. It can be hard to find even the crappy ice around here in the summer. Grocery stores don't seem to make the compressed blocks as much as they used to. I guess I better pick up some blocks from UWG soon (if they have some) and store it in my freezer until my MS trip next month. I also supplement with the frozen water jugs also.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #17
The 2.5 gallon water squares or whatever you want to call them go on their side like they were measured by yeti to fit there, in my old 120 anyway. Even rounded on two corners. Anyways have a couple in the basement deep freeze.

5 days sounds like compressed ice, isn't very long. Good ice is clear, the grocery store stuff is all white and hazy, they aerate the heck out of it while they are making it. You end up buying half air and it melts way faster. Making your own ice is the way to go.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #18
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
I just got a new contact for clear ice blocks in SLC:
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015   #19
x, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Utah Ice Works sells sculpture ice.

Ninety five bucks for a 300 lb block and they'll cut them down for $10 per cut. Not realistic for most boater's needs.

Nugs is online now   Reply With Quote