Old 08-19-2015   #1
Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Salmon River Smoke

Heading from southern oregon to put in on main salmon on tues the 25 th. There is bad smoke creeping in this night on top off days old smoke....wanting to seek clean air where the swany swans fly---does anyone have any good intel on a main salmon run --- are we headed to lung crushing air or can we survive with laughter in our dreams? Please advise! -- The Rogue Valley is s m o k e y

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #2
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm not sure about Idaho, but the Salt Lake valley is filled with smoke from the fires in Norcal and Oregon. Yesterday you couldn't see across the valley. Bummer. Are there any active fires around the Main Salmon? I haven't seen any posts about any?

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #3
Pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Took off the Main on Sunday and the river was quite smoky, especially around Campbell's Ferry. The Campbell's fire has grown since then.

The river level is low and the flow is slow, suggest early starts to avoid up-stream winds in the afternoons.
jsecho03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #4
Caw! Caw!
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Here's a map of the Campbell fire, which Whetstone sent me the other day. I've been keeping my eye on it, as we're supposed to launch 9/2. Might need nomex suits and respirators...

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Campbells

Boise is really smoky right now. I live just a couple of miles from the foothills, and I can't see them from my place.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #5
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I was at Corn this weekend and it's pretty smokey - I've definitely seen worse but you won't be getting your desired clean mountain air unfortunately.

There are ALOT of fires burning in Idaho and Montana right now. Including a few "near" both the MF and Main (but I don't think any on the rivers themselves). There was a dozen crew trucks parked just west of Shoup and a helicopter flying in supplies on Saturday. There was a hotshot crew in the in the Shoup store on sunday and they were discussing several local fires.

The ranger at corn said that they were hurting for crews as a bunch had been sent to fires in Alaska just before this blow up (on Thursday and Friday). They were hoping to get some back or folks from elsewhere but that they didn't have nearly enough folks for all the fires.

On the good side, it's been much cooler the last few days and crews got our local fire pretty much contained, so hopefully the weather will help the other fires and some crews can get re-deployed.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #6
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
My buddy said they were floating by active fires on the MFS. I'm in the bitterroot and its pretty smoky.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #7
cedar city, Utah
2 active fires on the MFS and 2 on the Main. The Campbell is the largest but the one by Crofoot Peak is still burning close to the river.

If you have Google Earth here is the link to KML Files

Feel for those with relevant health problems as the smoke is horrible across most of the west. I was getting ill for the 3 days I was in Spokane this past weekend. Lightening strike wildfires were popping up left and right this past week; my friends we backpacking on the Selway and they could see at least 2 new fires blowup downstream of them in the 4 nights they were there.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #8
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1984
Another Fire Passer

We put-in at Corn Creek on August 12 and had some very smoky days on the main Salmon. The fire at Campbell's Ferry was dramatic, burning visibly from the river, several pump lines for structure protection on river left as we passed the bridge. On take-out day, August 17, we drove south of Riggins toward Cambridge and saw a lot of fire-fighter traffic associated with the Teepee Fire, including a huge personnel camp just off the highway. Still had a wonderful trip, thanks to all the fire-fighters out there!
hiloper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #9
Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
We just took out on the 17th, and floated by the Campbell fire, with active burning, and wild land fire personnel being transported by jet boat.. super smokey on night of the 13th, as we camped just above at Mallard. Micro burst winds that night as well, snapping large dead trees.. kinda creepy. But floated out of the thick smoke past the fire, and downriver a bit. Last day on river was very smokey, but due to other fires..

Another note: lots of bear activity on the river! Had a bear in camp with us at Hancock beach! Just a little guy, more scared than anything, but very curious, and hung out in a tree above us. Saw two more bears that next morning while floating, on river right..
mdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #10
Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the replies thus far. This is helpful info. Any further trip reports or updates would also be greatly appreciated!

Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote