Old 08-24-2015   #1
summit county, Colorado
Running the whole Green River

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of doing a Green River trip from Green River Lakes down to the confluence. Has anyone done it? Or done the Wyoming stretches? If you have I'd love to hear about it. Curious about what the put in/take out access is like, if there are any stretches that are a no-go or that I should be worried about. At this point, anything is helpful.

teleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Read Powell's account, which will not be really helpful due to differences in technology and knowledge. Also another by Colin Fletcher (I believe) who floated headwaters to the Gulf. His is more appropriate to the time and s good read, but not nearly as fascinating as Powell's.

That stretch between Dino and Deso will likely tax you (I haven't floated that yet), but all else has been run often.

Sounds like fun, good luck!

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #3
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
It's been done, PM Randaddy as I am pretty sure he ran that through the grand.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015   #4
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Pat and Robin Tierney (former owners of Adrift in Jensen) had pieced together the whole Green River trip including the Wyoming headwater parts over several years. Most people who do a Powell trip now start below Flaming Gorge, and I think that's what Randaddy did. I remember Robin talking about, but can't remember anything useful (my fault, not hers..., or perhaps Augie Busch's fault...). I think Pat's out book touring that new Yampa book with John Fielder right now, maybe you could find a stop and get him talking.
I think if you have the logistical support & ability to shuffle from packraft to raft to sea kayak and back as needed, and can line up the permits (mostly Lodore), that would be a hell of a way to spend a summer. Probably diversion dams, fences, and private land in Wyoming if I had to guess. Once you're into Utah it may be flat, but it's pretty enough, there are great beaches for camping late in the year.
If you pull it off, please post a TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #5
The Wyoming section can all be floated with portage around Fontinell and Flaming Gorge Dams. The upper section that is not private property is best run at higher water. The rest is very doable with the flat water of Flaming Gorge being a long push with oars. The Green through Wyoming can be done as I had a guy who was doing just as you have suggested on the Green join my Lodore trip. His biggest gripes were the flatness of the C section below Flaming Gorge and the fact that we had prime rib on the second night in Lodore canyon.....hmmmm.
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #6
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Gene did an excellent TR at his site PaddleOn - Southwest Float Trips

Upper Green River - May 2012 - Green River Lakes to Split Mountain
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #7
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
That was an awesome TR.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015   #8
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
These guys did a source to sea on the green. Haven't watched this video in a few years but guessing there would be some info for you
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015   #9
peoria, Arizona
The TR on PaddleOn was written by Bryan Burke

PM me for his email address. He has pretty much done the entire Green (and Colorado) river. Very helpful and knowledgeable, especially concerning extended multi-days. Also reclusive thus the PM.

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015   #10
Alpine, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
Intriguing Trip

I've paddled a few times across both the lower and upper Green River Lakes (it takes me the better part of a day just to paddle back and forth across the lower lake--the wind always seems to pick up at some point), and have long wanted to float from the outlet at the lower lake all the way to Warren Bridge. I've paddled the first 2 miles in my IK, and plan to do the full trip to Warren Bridge some day. Reading one of the earlier posts, it is true that weather and temperatures greatly impact the flows on the river during runoff--see the earlier post where flow about doubled in one day.

I camp in the area all the time, and I always am amazed at how it can be 20 degrees colder or more at Upper Green River lakes than down just a little bit at New Fork Lakes. The Green River Lakes have their own micro-climate. I've yet to be there on a summer trip and not be hailed on in a windy and robust afternoon storm. It's just really unpredictable country in terms of precipitation and runoff in my humble opinion.

It looks pretty bony throughout the early part of the Green River, so I'd definitely do it in an IK. The best rapids would obviously be during runoff. After runoff, the flow gets pretty slow and there are lots of rock fields.

Buddha09 is offline   Reply With Quote