Old 09-07-2015   #11
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I camped there about 8 years ago, believe it is just the actual cabin and the surounding area that is no camping. The camp is down stream a bit like richp said.

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz

wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #13
At least call the Westwater Ranger or permit office to let them know you're coming off Ruby with a lot of miles to row, and would *really* appreciate an early camp on WW...

The rules say first come first serve and rules are rules but rangers can actually be nice and reasonable people (unless you play recorded music at the put in or ignore quiet hours ) ...
a) They can take your situation into consideration when discussing and assigning camps with earlier groups who may not have a strong preference;
b) Will be expecting you and not assume you're a no-show. That may expedite the check-in process.

I checked in a few months ago, and the ranger told me he had some guys talk to him earlier who hadn't launched yet but really would like lower Little D and if i was cool with that, and I was.
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015   #14

Also, years ago the rangers sometimes put late arrivals in a seldom-used camp on river left, just before the S-bend that takes you to Miners. It was called either AB or Fault, IIRC. If it is still there, that might be something to ask about.

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules