Ruby/ Horsetheif and Westwater Beta - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2016   #1

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Ruby/ Horsetheif and Westwater Beta

I was looking for any bug beta or recommendation on gear to bring with you if you were running westy at the end of this month. I have all my standard overnight gear ready to go, this is for extra things such as bug net (if they are that bad at night), dry suit vs drytop only, etc.. Also if any one knows what trout live in the area and whats hatching id appreciate that as well. I will be in a ducky with plenty of support.

paddleskirepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #2

Paddling Since: 1994
Standard fall/winter overnight fare. There won't be many biting bugs to speak of unless its unseasonably warm.
The suit or top is your choice. If i was in a duck I would bring the suit for the rapids day on westy, its always easy to cool off.

The closest trout is 100+/- miles upstream. If you fish, you will be fishing for catfish and cathing them and humpback chubs which must be returned immediately. If you see catfish rising, which isnt that rare on ruby, look around and see whats on the water. Try different bugs until one works. If the cotton was blowing I would say bring a pattern that represents that. They like to sip the cottonseed. If nothing is rising, its time to put on a "bait fly", like leftover lunch on a size 10 fly of choice and start dredging, or just drink.
Old 10-10-2016   #3

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
Standard fall/winter overnight fare. There won't be many biting bugs to speak of unless its unseasonably warm.
The suit or top is your choice. If i was in a duck I would bring the suit for the rapids day on westy, its always easy to cool off.

The closest trout is 100+/- miles upstream. If you fish, you will be fishing for catfish and cathing them and humpback chubs which must be returned immediately. If you see catfish rising, which isnt that rare on ruby, look around and see whats on the water. Try different bugs until one works. If the cotton was blowing I would say bring a pattern that represents that. They like to sip the cottonseed. If nothing is rising, its time to put on a "bait fly", like leftover lunch on a size 10 fly of choice and start dredging, or just drink.
I definite appreciate the info, my rods will be staying at home knowing this. I was thinking full suit as well so all really good info. Thanks!
paddleskirepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016   #4

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
There were big ass carp trolling our eddy at Black Rocks #4 camp a couple weeks ago. They enjoyed cheese and a few other snacks.

-Jack Handy
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2010
I wouldnt bother fishing, but FWIW they were doing fish surveys on WW a few years ago while we were on in sept, and were finding brown trout..
UTMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I was on WW this past weekend. The Canyon was really too hot for my drysuit. I was in a raft. If it had been cloudy it would have been necessary.

If you have back up raft support, bring both. I would suit up for the canyon with the drysuit.

Camp: You'll need a warm sleeping bag more than you'll need a good tent. I would bring a 0 degree if you can. I was in a 20, and wished I had my 0. It will certainly dip into the 30s at night at least once if 30s every night and 20s on the coldest night. A full down jacket with hood will be comfy in camp. I also sleep in a balaclava this time of year. Down booties for camp are also nice.
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote