Rouge Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2017   #1

Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: '92
Rouge Questions

Lucky to be on a trip in June and wondering about a few things. Is there an alternate take out closer to the ocean, or anything beyond foster bar? Anyone gone down this way before and recommends it?

I'm all for extending trips when possible, but at the same time I am the type who would never take out at places like pierce ferry on the grand again.

Also curious about non permit dailies and camping in the area. Coming from Phoenix and want to get the most out of a NW trip.

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017   #2

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
Is there an alternate take out closer to the ocean, or anything beyond foster bar?
There are many ramps and accessible gravel bars below Foster.
Quote:
Anyone gone down this way before....
Lots of people float below Foster, mostly anglers and tubers.
Quote:
....and recommends it?
Nope, unless you are fishing and June isn't one of the better months for fishing on that stretch. The gradient flattens out below Foster.
Old 02-11-2017   #3

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
Quote:
I'm all for extending trips when possible. Also curious about non permit dailies and camping in the area.
There is a park known as "Q-Creek" (actually Quosatana Creek) about halfway between Agness and Gold Beach. It has a decent concrete boat ramp and plenty of rock beach space for de-rigging rafts. The park has RV dump, campsites and flush toilets. All of the shuttle services in Galice know of Q-Creek.

I would not recommend going beyond Q-Creek, because the river really flattens out and the channels start to braid. The actual drift time from Foster Bar to Q-Creek in a raft is about six hours, but you probably will want to allow extra time because of the high probability of afternoon head winds.

Our float plan involved camping at Watson Creek, 5 miles above Foster Bar. We stopped at Foster and off-loaded all of our trash. Lunch was just below the Illinois River confluence. We encountered a pretty strong headwind after that. There is a fairly long, beautiful stretch of wooded canyon with no roads visible. We found a decent sized beach for camping in this section, probably about five miles from Q-Creek.

Like you, we wanted to make our Rogue trip as long as possible. We launched in Grants Pass at Schroeder Park--campsite and concrete boat ramp. On other trips, we've launched at Chinook Park further upstream, just for the fun of floating through the heart of Grants Pass. But there's no camping there. Now that the Savage Rapids Dam is gone, you could launch anywhere upstream, but I have never floated that section.

Whether you launch at Chinook or Schroeder, your first nights camp is on the left at or just above the mouth of the Applegate River. Camping opportunities are very limited in this area, so don't miss it. Your first opportunity is on a gravel bar or island before you actually see the mouth of the Applegate. It's a decent camp, but tie your boats well, because the jet boats will shake them loose otherwise--they need to maintain speed through there to have control.

The much larger camp is right at the confluence of the Applegate. No problems with jet boats, but the camp is accessible by motor vehicle. Probably not a good place to camp on a weekend night.

The second day's float is for the fishermen in your party. I should say that there is no whitewater between Chinook Park and Hog Creek. Just a few riffles. But the current is good and you won't have any trouble moving downstream. Do some sight-seeing, jump in and swim, throw buckets of water at your friends, and hose the jetboats with your dipsticks.

Hellgate Canyon is a scenic surprise just below Hog Creek. Depending on the water level, there are good campsites on both sides of the river at the downstream end of the short canyon, just above Dunn Riffle.

Our third day involved our first actual rapids--three or four Class III read-and-run rapids--and took us past Galice. You can replenish your ice and supplies at the Galice Store (who has always handled my shuttles). There is a very good camping beach on the right, just around the right-hand bend below Galice. It is on a bench about ten feet above river level, so it isn't really visible from the river. Stop when you see the landing spot. The path up to the bench should be well-worn and visible. There are other camping possibilities before you get to Rand.

Know what the landing looks like for Rand, so that you can get your permit. If you get to Almeda Bar, you went too far and will have to walk back--and the rangers will grouse about not being able to see your required gear. But if you schmooze them they'll take your word that you have what you need.

The best bet is to make a stop at Rand before the trip, when you go to Galice to arrange your shuttle. We have always done that after launching all of the rafts. Drivers take the rigs to Galice, and we get a van ride back with the shuttle service.

From Almeda Bar to Foster Bar is the "normal" trip that private boaters usually do in three to five days.

Hope all of that helps.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2017   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

thailand, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've drivin down to Gold beach after running the Rogue, and it was one of the high points of our trip up there, watching the river spin eddies into the Pacific, and Sea lions playing in the mouth of the Rogue. A worthwhile detour if your plans work out for it.
Old 02-11-2017   #5

Arboles, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
In 09 we drove from CO, and wanted the trip to be as long as we could make it so we launched at Hog Creek and took out at Cougar Mountain Lodge, spent 7 days, and drove to the ocean afterwards, and it was great! No problem with shuttle and I swore when I get the chance again, I'm going all the way, rowing what is feasible and taking a motor for the last portion, but I'd just love to take a river to the ocean. I'm sure there are other, better ones available, but the Rogue is simply fantastic! Have a great trip no matter what you decide!
grin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017   #6

We normally run a 4 day trip from graves to foster would be easy to do 5 with a layover. Add another day by putting in a ennis or hog. There is a camp on river right not far above the ranger station at rand. You can park below the station and climb stairs to pick up your permit but will need to carry up your Grover for your check out. Then camp around whisky. If a layover is the plan look for something river right and avoid upper horse shoe and the ranch unless you like conflict or company.... Rogue
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017   #7

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Looks like we have a Rouge permit for early June too. Good info for extending the trip should the mood take us. Thanks.

Waiting to hear what else Summer '17 has in store for us.......
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017   #8

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Congrats on the permit draws. I missed on all my groups draws on the Rogue. Still I hope to get on with a cancellation at some point.

I'd second all the advice about lengthening the trip by starting above Graves Creek. I don't know anything about below Foster though, as I have never floated it. Hogs Creek to Foster Bar makes a really nice 5-day trip.
Old 02-13-2017   #9

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Why would you possible want to pass up the exciting opportunity to drive the Bear Camp Road?
kayakerps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017   #10

Rumor has that access the bear camp will be closed July through august due to logging operations. I believe the burnt ridge route will be open as an alternative. Burnt ridge is the road that takes off to the left between bear camp and cougar lane as your headed to the coast. Time will tell.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote