Old 08-11-2015   #1
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Rogue River Trail Access

The last few times down the Rogue I've been scouting out good points where the trail comes down to the river. This is in anticipation of our first float with the baby in a month. Baby will be on trail with Mom except for the flattest sections and there will be radio communication. We've got a good grasp of where the best meetup spots are but halfway down last time another family recommended Bunker Creek, across from Big Windy as a good place to come down from the trail to the river. This is about the only spot between Tyee and Horseshoe Bend as far as we know and will be a major help to our trip logistics if it works out. However, I have not seen it for myself and this point is about 7 miles in from the road so I don't really have time on day O to run there and back for my own eyes on experience.

If any of you can give me a second opinion on hiking down the Bunker Creek drainage 50 yards to be ferried across the river to camp, I would really appreciate it. Other crux days will be the five miles from Mule Creek to Halfmoon Bar where even the older, heavier (and slow walking) kids will be on the trail. If you can think of any useful access points or trail info I would appreciate it. I've done the river many times but never walked more than a couple miles of the trail. Thanks in advance.

jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #2
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
You're right, trail/river access is pretty daunting through that stretch. I don't really know about the Bunker Creek access, but I'll be down there in a couple of weeks and could scout it out for you. When is your launch?

Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #3
Caw! Caw!
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Subscribing because I'm interested. For years, I've contemplated doing something similar to what you have planned. Hiking the trail and meeting up with friends who are rafting would be awesome; I love that country.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #4
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I launch on September 6th. We're planning for five days and four nights and had a pretty good itinerary. Then it became apparent that my friend's 50lb four year only likes to walk a mile or so at a time without being carried... Anyhow we were going to just camp at Tyee and then Kelsey but that makes for a long day and even if we stop at Horseshoe it's still six miles with the four year old on the trail. If we can camp at Big Windy then it splits up that stretch between day one and two.

My wife and I went down over the weekend and had a great time as always. With just the two of us we even had time to scout out a few spots, but even though we stopped at Big Windy for lunch, I didn't scout out across the river. Perhaps because I had just done that twice upstream, to no avail. Perhaps because the outhouse was beckoning...

I wish I'd had time to recce it, alas. If you want to take a peak and let me know that would be awesome.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote