Rogue River Question - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2016   #11

seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Op will not be running a lightly loaded puma by himself. You're advice does not apply to him. Rogue is the correct answer.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2016   #12

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Aug 2013 wasn't that long ago, when the OP started rafting:
Hoping to get into whitewater rowing

Of course he won't be rowing a lightly loaded puma by himself, the bigger the boat with a comparatively light load is the answer for low water Wallowa/GR float trips. Last low water trip I was rowing this purple boat with all the group gear and 2 dogs, though one is more the size of a hamster. Not lighlty loaded at all, that aint me in the blue puma, I had the groover, full kitchen not eating squire food, 4 burner partner stove, cooler, etc. etc. Yes a low water Wallowa/GR trip is a challenge, but a fun challenge, you won't have to worry about anything other then potentially getting stuck a while while you figure out how to read water. Folks drowned nearly every year at low water on the Rogue generally because they made a series of poor choices. I can't remember the last time someone drowned in a rafting accident on the Wallowa/GR at low water.

Lower salmon is a better answer. I love you too bucket boater
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #13

Up North, Oregon
Not to mention the wallowa/GR is very friendly for first time IK paddlers at low water. A potential trip could be 1 - 14' raft with light to medium group gear, and any small kids too small to IK. Sounds like maybe only 1 or 2 kids would be on the raft. All other adults and bigger kids drive their own IKs, with 1 big dry bag each on the IKs. They have a bunch right there at Minam to rent. Thats what we do, except we have an armada of IKs.
11 years old having no fun at all

First time IKers all dragging their boats down the Wallowa/GR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2016   #14

Up North, Oregon
Last post from me on this, no matter the goading from my BFF - BB.

And a sub 400 cfs trip by some 70 year olds (though they did stomp the MF Salmon a couple weeks latter coming down from Boundary at 1.45 feet)

Old 08-05-2016   #15

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd also exercise caution when planning such a trip. There's more to think about than just his ability to row down stream. As you know you'll be or at least feel responsible for them at all times.

Are you up to taking care of every conceivable adverse situation? Even if they are up for a challenge all eyes are on the trip leader if something happens.

Plan a trip that you feel 100 percent comfortable with, might not be as exciting but your mental health won't take such a toll. I could imagine you feeling a lot of anxiety with a newb on the rogue even if things are going well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #16

Seattle, Washington
Again, guys, thanks for all the great advice. You can always count on the Buzzards finding consensus regarding the best rivers to run . Seriously, this has been super helpful! Paul7, I think what you said really resonates - it is clear that the weight of being responsible for a family of new rafters on a river like the Rogue was causing me angst and would likely get worse. I ultimately think we will take Shappattack's advice and try for the Grand Ronde. I have done that section twice at low flow (500 cfs) with no problem. I love the idea of getting a brigade of IKs to help offload from the rafts. The lower Salmon will be out backup if GR flows hit rock bottom.

I know I eventually will need to nut up and eventually push my comfort level - but would prefer to do so with a group that has more experience. I have only been rafting for 3 years but have taken it seriously: 5 day rowing school, several multi-day trips (Grande Ronde x 2, John Day x 2, Rogue, Deschutes, Klamath, etc), Swiftwater Rescue, countless days on various rivers fly fishing (or really rowing for friends who get to do all the fishing). This has all been with the eventual goal to comfortably get my family and others out on rivers like the Rogue, Salmon, MF (eventually) and beyond.

Thanks all - you guys are a valuable resource and entertaining to boot.
davbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #17

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Sounds like this is a good family that you would like to spend time with and hopefully convert to the river lifestyle. Set your buddy up to look like a hero, hopefully his family will be hooked.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote