Old 04-24-2016   #1
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Rogue River planning - July

We are experienced CO river rafters, and just pulled our first-ever Rogue River permit for July 3rd.

Forgive the basic questions to our experienced OR rafting friends:

1) the Wild, permitted section looks like 4 days/3 nights generally?
2) If we wanted to add a few more days/nights to the trip, would you add it to the front, perhaps putting in at Hog Creek... would this just be one additional night?
3) What about floating past Foster Bar and going to Quosatana or Lobster Creek? How many days/nights would this add to the trip, generally?

We are trying to figure out the "best" way to expand the trip slightly.. does the section downriver of Foster Bar have less traffic than the section above Grave Creek? Which is more scenic, generally?

On a related note; we run a 15+' raft and several duckies for our three sons, ages 13-18 who are all quite experienced. We think we will have about 4 open spots on our 16-person permit, and would love to extend an invitation to experienced locals with a raft and knowledge of the area. We would be looking for a tiny bit of help with raft capacity - we have everything required, but the kids want to bring a few friends without much experience and I may need some help temporarily putting them on a raft for the harder rapids, as well as a small amount of gear. As to the overall tone of the trip: As the boys have grown, we have been moving out of strict PG-13 mode- adult beverages and discrete 420 activity are totally fine, but this will not be a raging sun-up to sun-down party. We value remote wilderness, day hikes, and safety-first approach during the day and like to get to camp early if possible.

rschreibCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016   #2
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Congrats on the permit, Graves to Foster Bar is an easy 3 or 4 day float. You can layover with a 4 day trip if you want. I have typically run it in 4 days without a layover day and there is plenty of time to hike and explore. Consider putting in at Argo rather than Graves creek, it adds maybe an hour to the trip, but is less of a zoo. We typically camp there the night before. There is a pit toilet but no other amenities.

The section of river above Graves Creek is run as a day trip. Not a lot of action. I always thought getting down a day early and floating a paddle rig and IKs would be a fun way to start the trip and get non-river people comfortable on the water. It is easy enough to do a self shuttle along that stretch.

I've never run below Foster Bar, the current gets pretty slow and by the time I hit Foster I am ready to be done. There is one rapid after Foster that looks pretty fun, but then it is a lot of flat.

Another option would be to extend your trip out a few days and go float the North Umpqua. It is a really nice class 3-4 day float with riverside camping. There are hikes nearby and mountainbiking. Hot springs too if you are into that sort of thing.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016   #3
Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
As a veteran to the Rogue River and to Southern Oregon, my recommendation would be if you plan to extend your trip, put in at Hog Creek which is upriver from Grave Creek about 13 miles. There are a number of spots that you can camp in this section below Galice, or as TriBri1 mentioned, camp at Argo which is about 1.5 miles above Grave Creek. I have done the run below Foster Bar and it is extremely flat, wide, and typically windy....upriver. While the Hog Creek section is considerably busier, it really is not that bad.

Once you depart Grave Creek the typical trip is 4 days which is pretty casual, if you want a layover day you can extend this section to 5 days. I have done this at Battle Bar as well as the Mule Creek/Marial area. If you layover at Mule Creek, you can hike the Rogue River Trail down to Blossom Bar, sit and have lunch, and scout Blossom while watching other boaters negotiating the rocks which can sometimes be very exciting!

Enjoy your trip.....the Rogue is a classic!
Grand Junction CO
Riverman4utoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016   #4
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Alameda also makes a great launch point for the wilderness run. Camp and rig the night before. The ramp/beach area is huge. And it's close to Galice to arrange your shuttle. But maybe look into reserving a camp spot in advance since that is a holiday weekend.

We've always done it in 4. If I wanted to extend I'd add layover time and still take out at Foster. Tons of stuff to do in that canyon. Enjoy!
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #5
Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
A layover at Rogue River Ranch is always good. This affords a great hike thru Mule Creek Canyon to Blossom Bar, and a tour of the ranch. If you have the time, The Deschutes is a great float. Warm Springs to Harpham Flats or Sandy Beach. Permits are readily available on line.
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016   #6
Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
All good advice above. You won't go wrong listening to it. I've never done the float below Foster Bar but have heard that it is very flat. I will attest to the fact that once below Blossom Bar Rapid, the current slows up dramatically and the wind picks up (always upriver too). For that reason i would suggest pulling out at Foster.

I will be hopefully on that Rogue pulling out at Foster on the 3rd of July. I'm planning on putting in at Alameda campground, this adds an additional 1-2 hr's to the float with a nice couple warm up rapids for those who are not accustomed to being on the river. If you want a full day extension I would strongly recommend putting in at Hog's Creek, 13 miles above Graves Creek (the start of the Wild and Scenic Section). You will get a full day of gently floats with approximately 10 class II rapids to warm up on. The scenery is good, and only gets better as you continue. There is a wonderful jumping rock following the campground at Alameda prior to Argo rapid (the largest of the Recreational section rapids, Class II+) which is always a great place to stop. Especially with teen-age boys. You can camp at Alameda State Park, or else there are a couple smallish possible camp sites along the river. There will be a lot of traffic on the section between Hog's and Grave's Creek, but not too unreasonable.

Make sure you stop at the Rogue River ranch, and Zane Grey's cabin. Both are wonderful historic sites, and well maintained with interesting information on the history of the canyon. Oh, and also make sure you hike those boys back up the creek at Tate's creek (Day 3) there is a great little pool and natural water slide. The hike is not for those without decent leg strength and agility (no clear trail) but it is well worth it. You will have a blast!

Scout Blossom, and stay to the right at Tyhee. Otherwise you will be fine, there is nothing else that will give you trouble. It's one of the best in the west if you are looking for a Class III trip. Enjoy!
UriahJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016   #7
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
You could get a campsite at Alameda and run the Hog Creek section the day before you enter the wild and scenic section. I think running the Hog Creek section is well worth it and it would add a day on the water to your trip and your boats will already be rigged.
Done that many times.

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote