Old 06-25-2011   #21
over the horizon
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
wow. You've lost touch. It happens with a lot of boaters who get good. I see it with class V kayakers... I don't know a ton of rafters so haven't seen it too much with them. Jump in above Skull next time and swim a mile or so and maybe it will wake you up.

If you think fast moving powerful class IV is not dangerous then you just forgot what it is like to swim it. Even class V is easy if you stay on line and you are sitting in a raft... which is pretty much like riding a fucking lazy boy couch down the river as long as the lines are being nailed. If you mess up and people end up swimming it doesn't matter how easy it is to hit the lines.

You have become complacent... and dangerous... stay away.
Oh sure, just take the first quote you can and run it clear out of context. I'll say it again, Tule, difficulty (and danger, for that matter) are not linear with flow. Are you implying a greater level of safety at lower flows? Really? I had no idea it was that simple. Our sport in that place is dangerous at any level. It is always powerful.

BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011   #22
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Looks like everybody agrees WW requires some skill and the original poster has at least got that message by now.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011   #23
WW can flip boats at ANY level. The difference is, the higher the volume, the pushier, swirlier, and more continuous it becomes. A swim at Funnel could be a swim to Last Chance. I almost flipped on an eddy line at about 17k when it sucked my entire left tube down - had to highside to stay upright. And I have run a patrol trip when a body recovery was going on after a rope entrapment at Skull - flows were about 8k as I recall. Go run the Moab Daily as many times as you can while the water is high, and if you don't have kids in the boat and have some safety hit the hole at White's to see what it feels like to be surfed. Learn what moving a heavy rubber boat in big water feels like before you do a run with Class IV consequences.
Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011   #24
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
I agree with Di. GOOD ADVICE.

BCJ is offline   Reply With Quote