Mountain Buzz banner

Rafting Trip Planning

Tags
rafting
4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  MT4Runner 
#1 ·
Okay, so me and my buddy live in So. Cal. We want to plan a river rafting trip for the spring. It looks like Oregon would be best for us. This would be our first time, but we are in fairly good shape.

1) Which river in Oregon would you recommend (best if the departure was 1 hour or less from an airport)?

2) How long of a trip would you recommend? We would like the trip to be for at least 2 nights.

3) Any suggestions for trying to find a good company?

#2 ·
#7 ·
True Dat.

Owyhee could be awesome since it is pretty much a spring only run, it didn't really last year though.

The Payettes should be rocking. Middle Fork, Main, Lower Main - Selway can be epic depending on your timing. Due to it's scarcity I would shoot for that. But Middle Fork would be trip of a lifetime in spring as well. Most of these are three to four or more days. You could combine a Middle Fork and the Main and get about 185 miles of boating in as little as week or do either or for 3-5 days. Depends on what outfitter and how early. Happy to share recommends once you decide on your best timing. Please your timing first and then adjust from there if you can't find what you want when.

Doing my first multi day river trip changed me for life. Some might say scarred but in a good way.

#4 · (Edited)
Here are some ideas. I'll be up front and let you know that I work on rivers in NorCal and Southern Oregon for Momentum River Expeditions www.momentumriverexpeditions.com .

1) Which river in Oregon would you recommend (best if the departure was 1 hour or less from an airport)?
We offer the Rogue trip that Wadeinthewater mentioned. I recommend the Lodge to Lodge experience personally,especially in the spring, which is three days two nights. But, we also do a four day camp trip which is great. This trip has some wonderful scenery, historic sites and is basically a class III whitewater experience.
If you wanted to turn it up a notch and have a world class whitewater experience the Cal Salmon/Scott, class IV-V is amazing in the spring. This is a longer drive, three hours from Medford,OR or Redding,CA , but the schedule of rafting accomodates travel time to the remote location.

#6 ·
Three days on the Forks of the Kern! It's only three hours from LA, (four in my old VW bus). Or three days on the Tuolumne near Yosemite. A little farther but still close to SoCal.

Both are beautiful Granite Canyons in the Sierras. The Forks might be a little intense, but back in the old days we took some first timers that had a blast. Lots of other rafting in California but mostly 1-2 day trips.

You can search on google for outfitters but I used to work for these guys: WhitewaterVoyages.com

#8 ·
CA

Airport?
U got great choices in CA, probably better weather in spring.
Kerns close T great choice as well. Why spend all of your time getting to rio when u could be on Kern in 4 hrs. or Kaweah in 4 the T in 6 Merced bout same Good stuff in spring, probably rain in OR
Boat local

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.