Mountain Buzz banner

Rafting Trip

Tags
rafting
5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  BryanS. 
#1 ·
Hello all, My buddy has been whitewater rafting once and this would be my first time. We live in Southern California and are considering a last minute (late September) whitewater rafting trip. Any suggestions as to where we could go (Northern California vs. Oregon). Any suggestions on what level we would be at. We are both in 30s and in OK shape. We would rather stay in California, but not if the rapids will suck. Any suggestions on companies to use? Thanks

#6 ·
zbaird said:
instead, since you are all knowing and in cali, maybe you could provide them with some useful info. slaves comment was actually funny, your constant annoying attacks on him, not so much. get over yourself and maybe you could provide some useful info on here for once.
Read the context closely and you'll see why I was a little snide. As to useful info, ask me a question and I'll do my best. I'm not even close to all knowing, but what little I have, I like to share.

#7 ·
Hello all, My buddy has been whitewater rafting once and this would be my first time. We live in Southern California and are considering a last minute (late September) whitewater rafting trip. Any suggestions as to where we could go (Northern California vs. Oregon). Any suggestions on what level we would be at. We are both in 30s and in OK shape. We would rather stay in California, but not if the rapids will suck. Any suggestions on companies to use? Thanks
upper klamath,4+ and noah's.

#8 ·
The Rogue will be running and is still awesome in the fall. So will the Main Salmon and Lower Salmon in Idaho. I guess I was thinking of multiday, since you are certainly going to have to travel a ways to get to decent boating. Or I think so. Since Cali has no water.
But what do I know, I am in Idaho. For a day trip I have no idea.

#10 ·
Thanks you guys. A friend of mine that is staying in Sacramento for school made the statement "There hasn't been much water up here". And the prices were so low that I was getting pretty skeptical (around $400 for a 3 day trip). Where in Oregon would you guys suggest? Would their rapids be a LOT better than northern california? thanks again.

#17 ·
Where in Oregon would you guys suggest?
i'll kick out hells canyon on the NE oregon /idaho border as an option too since it has not been mentioned. nice time of the year to be there. 2-7+ day trips possible depending on your put in / take outs / ass dragging. plenty of water. not a ton of great whitewater but some good stuff still. III-IV range. outstanding scenery though.

#14 ·
You need to check water levels on the American it might not have enough flow. The American tends to be much more crowded, the Rogue reliably runs all year long and it had a good water year. I am from SW Oregon, so the Rogue is my back yard river. They tend to drop the level of the Rogue in mid to late September for the fish so many people like the Rogue in late September for fishing. The rapids are still fun, although with less punch and more technical. If you want a more wilderness, see lots of bears and salmon go with the Rogue, the American can be crowded, just make sure it is runnable.

#16 ·
Lower klamath by happy camp class III. As mentioned the rogue is good all year, but check for permit cancellation availability. N. Umpqua has several class III/IV sections and no permits. McKenzie by Eugene. Or join the rubber wave on the Deschutes. All should be running, and have guide. Most don't need permits, and are day trips. N. Umpqua, rogue, and deschutes can go multi-day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.