Old 08-12-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Rafting Clear Creek Dumont to Kermits in 11"?

Thanks in advance for a little help on this. Seems like I have seen a bit of conflicting information on the run descriptions. I am trying to get an idea of what the run is like to raft from Dumont (or Lawson or Chicago creek put in) either just thru Idaho springs or all the way to Kermitís? We are thinking about going on Sunday.

We have rafted all over Colorado and Utah including Westwater, Upper Colorado, Utah daily, Browns canyon etc several times each with the oar rig but we have never run any part of clear creek. Every time we drive on 70 we say to ourselves, sometime we should find out the deal on clear creek and run it. Between our group we have a 16" and 11" rafts (and some 1 and 2 man IKs). We are thinking about doing paddlers in the 11 foot as we assume that the 16 is way too big. I know that the run is skinny in most/several spots and that some say it is class III+ but it seems it is usually rated a solid class IV. From my research it looks like Lawson to Dumont is more class IV (and natural riverbed) and that Dumont to highway 103 is class III/III+ and that highway 103 to Kermitís is class II thru town maybe class III by the rafting companies. One comment even stated that Idaho springs to Kermitís is boring?

Is this accurate?

The flow is currently at 250cfs.

Can you still raft down this? Is it pretty boney at this level?
Is it really class IV up above?
How are the manmade pour overs at this level?
What is outer limits rapid like at this level?
What are the best put in and take out spots?
Is this a fun run? Worth it?
Any other helpful hints would be great.

vosscondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #2
x, x
Paddling Since: x
i think commercials still run it as cc is very chanellized. you will drag over a lot of rocks at 275cfs@golden i think 400 is a good fun minimum 600-800 is the best level for it to be full on and still in and over 1000 is waves and holes and holy shit.

you can go all the way to kermits, it is all right down the middle. it gets boring after idaho springs

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #3
Indian Hills, Colorado
250 is too low. Wait for next season. 400 is a minimum to not be scrapy, but you really want more than 500.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
At 250 I would probably not run Lawson, maybe run from just above outer limits to above Pink rock. Although the run out for Outer limits will be boney. You can run Town to Kermits low, and Kermits to above pink rock way down - like 100 cfs. The section below Kermits is class IV and has a lot of fun rapids - including several that can and do flip rafts at these levels. Lower Beaver falls is great entertainment at this flow.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #5
Denver, Colorado
Thanks all. A few more questions :

Where is pink rock? I don't see it on the map that I have. Is this the junction or 6 and hwy 119?

So do most of you think that an 11" with 4-5 paddlers will be fine except for a few spots that it would be a bit low (scraping). Will there be necessary portage due to low water? Do you think there will be scraping on lots of the rapids ie not making it worth it?

How is the water temp there now?

What is the chracter of the class IVs at this level if anyone has run them recently? Outer limits? The falls right below kermits?

How is the access to the river? Are there public spots all along? OR are there boater land owner issues?

Old 08-12-2011   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Pink rock is 5-6ish miles below Kermits and maybe 1-2 miles below Hwy 6 and 119 - The section is often called Upper Clear Creek from Kermits to below 6 and 119 (even though it's below Dumont, Lawson, and the Town run). Pink Rock basically marks the start of the Class V Black Rock section - takeout at one of the large pullouts below the Hwy 6 and 119 intersection - it's largely mild water from the 119 and 6 junction until Pink Rock. At 250 cfs Clear Creek is scrappy and rock filled - no portages required unless a particular rapids looks bad to you - getting stuck depends on skill level with low water technical boating. The water is still cold, maybe 50ļF-55ļF? The falls below Kermits are upper and lower beaver falls, lower beaver has been a notorious raft flipper at around 220-240 cfs. However I think that more of the man mad junk was taken out over last winter - not sure how it's boating right now (the line had changed at high water). Access points and multiple and public.

One more thing - the runs you listed as previous experience - not exactly what I would call a good resume for Upper Clear Creek. Start with the town run - put in at Chicago Creek (near the Mile 240 exit) and run to Kermits - or at least go and scout the Upper Section - specifically about 1/4 mile below the put in for Upper/lower beaver then from just above the #6 tunnel for guide ejector, double knife and then walk down to screaming left and terminator.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011   #7
Denver, Colorado
raftus, thank you so much for all your info. Yes, I wasn't thinking that resume was perfect for experience for running clear creek but wanted to give an idea of what we usually run comfortably. We are looking for some fun, a new river we havent run before and a challenge but WE ARE NOT LOOKING TO BE STUPID. I like to try to learn everything I can about the run, scout when I need to (or even more than you think you need to), rig to flip, dress to swim and be smart.

For what it worth. . also have talked to one of the raft companies up there too and they said that they are currently running (at 250-300 cfs) a "beginner run" from chicago creek to kermits where they would allow a 7 year old to go. They also said they are running an "intermediate level half day" where they float all the way down to the junction of 119 and 6.

Really appreciate any and all info/tips from you all! Mountain buzz rocks!

clear creek lawson dumont, rafting