Mountain Buzz banner

rafting/camping trip advice?

4K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  nedd 
#1 ·
Im trying to put together a 2-3 day trip over Labor Day. I heard Brown's canyon might be a good place where I can take some inexperienced friends and have a good time with some 2's and 3's and find some primitive camping along the way? Also wondering if anyone knows a good place to rent some rafts along the way or somewhere near there? Thanks in advance for any help:)

#2 ·
You could scrape down Browns empty and camp nearby. Do not haul a loaded raft through at these flows. Your other option is upper Colorado. Not much for rapids, lots of crowding and trains all night to listen to. Rentals at Rancho del rio on upper c.

#3 ·
thanks Dave, so the arkansas is too low for a full raft? I do a trip every year and the past 3 i have done Pumphouse Station to past State Bridge. i was hoping to find some different scenery this year about the same distance from Denver and length of trip. I feel like i could paddle that section with my eyes closed:) Anyone have any creative ideas? Otherwise I'll be adding 3 rafts to the crowd on upper Colorado Labor Day weekend!

#8 ·
Green River is dry below Flaming Gorge!

Green River, Flaming Gorge. It is a bit far away, but has water, is very scenic, has good camping and great fishing
The Green has dried up below Flaming Gorge due to a malfunction with the damn dam. So DO Not GO THERE!

JK, the "A" section is crowded this time of year but the"B" section has fewer boaters and river camp sites.

#6 ·
Thanks Imyers and Fuzzie for the suggestions. Those places look great but they are a little further than what i was hoping for. Think Ill probably do the upper colo again. Ya'll have any suggestions on where to rent some rafts that might be close or on the way to state bridge?

#10 ·
No Problem

Sorry Ewatah, don't want to rat out your favorite spot. Don't worry, I don't think it will get to crowed there except for fishermen on the A section.
The secret has been out on the Green for a while and it does get a lot of boaters and fishermen on the A section. It is a beautiful place and even thoughit is mainly class II water the scenery is hard to beat.

#11 ·
Southfork Snake from Conant to Byington. I-II, not II-III, great fishing, great camping, 25 miles total, bring a firepan & groover. Southfork Outfitters will do your shuttle. Probably farther away than you want to go, but an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.