Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 02-11-2015   #21

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #22
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Stripperclip View Post
I'm interested in the self shuttle option you mentioned. What are the logistics when doing that? Probably do just one night on the river so where would you take out? I basically need to be spoon fed here. Thanks!

Pm me your phone number and I'll call you with what I have. Basically just drive down there and stop in at the shuttle place and drop off keys. They take your vehicle to the end after dropping you off. Easy peasy! Cost is something like 100-120.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Kinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #23
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
no trying to poach a thread but I do have one more question for clarification. It sounds like if you don't have a trailer and you want to put in at the dam you have two options maybe

1) have a shuttle bring you to the dam. I assume you rig your boat on their trailer at their office?

2) Sounds like maybe you could inflate and rig your frame (no gear) and carry it down? Then later land at Little Hole and rig your gear?

Am on on base?
MrScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #24
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
It's a LONGGGG way down- I'd think you could drop your gear well out of the way and inflate/rig and it would be fine. There is a lot of room down there. As long as you didn't impede the trailer rigs coming and going I can't imagine anybody having a fit. I dunno though- last time.i was there was early October and not very busy.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #25
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have seen people sent to the parking lot and told to Inflate up there. Maybe at times they allow rigging on the ramp, but I have never seen it. If you go down not rigged, do not drop your gear on the ramp but beside it and ask permission first before doing it IMHO and then move your truck back to the parking lot asap. I do not think the ranger comes on duty till 7am if you are an early riser.
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river.
bighorn1478@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #26
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 95
Originally Posted by Mrscamp View Post
no trying to poach a thread but I do have one more question for clarification. It sounds like if you don't have a trailer and you want to put in at the dam you have two options maybe

1) have a shuttle bring you to the dam. I assume you rig your boat on their trailer at their office?

2) Sounds like maybe you could inflate and rig your frame (no gear) and carry it down? Then later land at Little Hole and rig your gear?

Am on on base?
The parking lot above the put in is a pretty friendly place you might convince someone with a raft trailer to shuttle your raft down after theirs or double up for a $20 or a six pack...Trout Creek flies will accommodate most any request, their new owner -manager, Gordon, is a solid river guy and great fishing guide.

NO way to carry it down. Too far, too steep, too many vehicles. Some do float the A for fun and load their gear at Little Hole...

Spade Hackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #27
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
There is very little room available at the 4 lane ramp. What looks like room to the novice is actually the backing and turning space needed to get mutli trailer rigs on and off the ramp. One car parked in the wrong spot and no one can enter or leave the ramp.

There is no parking allowed at the ramp (OK, there is one handicap space near the toilets, but you can't use it), you are expected to wait your turn, use the ramp and get off as soon as possible.

Boats are supposed to stop at the upper parking lot and take care of all rigging then drive down to the ramp and launch. There is a narrow hiking trail that gets you down several hundred feet from the upper parking lot to the ramp, very steep and narrow, NO way to carry a boat down, even a kayak would be tough. The paved road is very long, very steep and full of blind corners. I wouldn't consider carrying a boat down that route either.

The ramp is the busiest between 7:30 and 10:00 AM. During peak times they expect you to be on and off the ramp in 10 minutes max. (the pro guides are much quicker than that!) Take a little more time and you will catch grief from the guides, the locals and the ranger on duty. Seriously, leave your truck unattended to take a pee during busy times and you will get in a rash of trouble. Take more that two tries to back your trailer in and you will also catch grief. Noobs are not welcome during the morning rush and they will let you know.

After 10:00 AM it's a different story. There is a vehicle waiting lane on the right side, during off peak hours they have let me park there and unload raft gear to the dirt area next to the ramp. As long as I wasn't putting gear on the ramp they were OK with me rigging there and taking some time.

There will be lots of empty flatbed trailers and shuttle drivers parking at the upper lot after they launch boats. You might find someone willing to shuttle your 'ready to launch' boat down for a few beers. Or hire the trailer with launch through Flaming Gorge Lodge or Trout Creek Ltd.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015   #28
Front Range, Colorado
All of the comments are spot on

Hire a shuttle service. The folks at Flaming Gorge Resort treated us well.

A section is great fishing and scenic

B has great camping and you can reserve some of the campgrounds on recreation.gov

C - it looks like it has lots of camping on the map, most of the sites are overgrown. I would suggest lone tree for camping.

Have fun.
iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015   #29
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
How is the road from the launch ramp down to Swinging Bridge? Pretty good condition generally? How long is the drive if we self shuttle?
cjising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015   #30
Not much difference in driving between swinging bridge and swallow in distance or road quality. Both are well maintained except washboard.
Swinging bridge gives you a couple extra miles of what takes on the character of an irrigation ditch. What swinging bridge has that lower swallow lacks is camping. The takeout at swinging bridge is not great in my recollect. The ramp at swallow can be missed if you are having a senior moment.

No one has really talked about red creek. We always take two vehicles because red creek blows frequently and turns the river into tomato soup (no fishing). If red creek blows we either lap a or takeout after b. If your not fishing then it really does not matter. I would say of the thirty plus trips I have on that water,red creek has blown out on half of them.

Swallow is very special but short. If you catch it late in the day and clear it can be a religious experience. Hope for that but don't expect it.

festivus is offline   Reply With Quote