Old 02-10-2016   #1
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Raft for Oregon ?

In the process of buying my first raft and moving to Bend, Oregon. I'm looking to buy a raft for fishing purposes, looking for strictly a two person fishing raft. Anyone have any suggestions for raft size for rivers around Bend. Could I get away with a RMR storm ? Also been looking at the 13 outlaw and 13 RMR. Another question is the drop sitch worth the extra money ?

802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #2
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I'm sure you can get away with a storm. It might be a bit small? But that might be more of a personal preference. In my experience a 14' raft is hard to beat.

As for drop stitch vs I-Beam again personal preference. Most fishing frames will have a standing platform for the caster and in reality ppl don't spend a whole lot of time just standing on the floor. I-Beam floors track better and DS turn faster. In the long run they are mostly equally with pros and cons that are best left to personal preference.

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #3
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
If you aren't looking for a multiday rig I'd go smaller, easier to learn on and understand the water. The storms are a very capable boat and would still be worth keeping if you end up with a bigger boat down the road.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #4
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I'd suggest a 14 foot for the area if you are going to row around 2 people for day trips. It will be small enough to maneuver at low water on the N Santiam, McKenzie, N Umpqua, etc. But will still work great for day trips on the Deschutes and John Day. It will also give you more space if you ever decide to do over nighters or take a bigger group of family or friends. Almost all of the boatable rivers around here have ramps and good access.

I'm not a fisherman but if you found a good 13' setup to row that would probably work great. I just prefer a 14' raft and, lightly loaded, they get around really well on all of these rivers and still give you room and flexibility.
OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #5
Star, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
I've taken the Vanguard 14' down the Middle Fork Salmon repeatedly and it has performed excellently. It isn't an Aire or a Maravia, but it is affordable and durable. The boats we bought back in 2007 are still running strong. They make about (3) 6-7day trips and a couple dozen day trips each year, with only one patch that turned into another D-ring. We have also bought the 15' to add to the group boats(excellent paddle boat). The 14'ers are the fishing boat of choice for our group. Some other people may not like the NRS fishing frames, but they fit perfect on these boats and the tracking/maneuvering is awesome. I personally like the Vanguard floors(not drop stitch), as they are stiff as you want them and makes walking on them easy and not awkward. Just my opinion.
tacdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #6
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I second the thumbs up on Vanguard. The tubes are big and the boat floats nicely. I have even seen a vanguard on the South Fork of the Salmon at 6'. For a glued boat they rock!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016   #7
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Drift boat

Or, if you anticipate doing mostly/exclusively day trips you should consider a drift boat. It might make sense to wait until you get here, check the rivers out, then make a choice based on what you think is best.
cmharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #8
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I would think about what kind of trips you want to do. I think the storm would do fine on most rivers but it would be hard to fish out of.
sean bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #9
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I think I'm gonna pull a plug on a 2015 13 raft. My only concern now is if the drop stitch floor is worth the extra bucks..
802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016   #10
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Remember to try and price the boat as a package totally outfitted. Most people buy a raft because they think they got a good deal,then the frame and everything else ends up costing more than you could have purchased a package with better outfitting for less. There is no incentive to offer a deal on the other items when you don't buy the raft also as a package. All the other stuff is where the hard work is the raft helps offset that for frame builders and allows the builder to put higher end oars ,coolers, more options like floor upgrades on the boat for less then if you piece it together.

GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote