Old 06-28-2016   #1
salida, Colorado
prego and need a good activity or easy overnight?

so my wife is prego and we don't sit still, but everything we like to do is too high risk for us right now any suggestions on easy non permit overnight floats or anything else family orriented. We are located in CO but willing to drive if worth it
Thanks the non climbing or boating dad(till Dec.)

Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #2
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ruby/Horsethief may be appropriate. I know my wife wouldn't have wanted to go boating at all while she was pregnant, out of an abundance of caution, but Ruby probably isn't as risky as riding in a car, except for the remoteness. It's permitted for overnight, but if you can go mid-week, you can get permits for this week.

Maybe even stay in town, and float from F St. to Vallie Bridge? There are a few rapids, like Badger Ck and Tin Cup, but she could walk those I suppose. It's been too long since I floated that section to remember if it might be too rough, but it would be borderline. Sure is closer than Ruby, though.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #3
Paddling Since: 1994
Salida East to Vallie Bridge is pretty low risk if you are fairly competent and in a raft. Driving is surely more dangerous.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
best prego trips

I loved rafting prego and took about 6 trips during my second trimester. Here are my recommendations:
- Gunnison river (anywhere between pleasure park and Grand junction. our favorite trip is Escalante canyon: 13 miles and great overnight; not that busy either.
- Upper Colorado river - skip the rapids and start at Rancho Del Rio; float anywhere from there to Catamount. do one-two nights with ease.
- ruby/horsethief is way easy; need to get a permit now but that's not a hard process just a few $$.

Remember, you may not be able to get back into the boat if you fall out (depending on how big that belly is). practice getting pulled in sideways or from behind a few times while just off shore - the practice puts you more at ease. I used our friend in a ducky; he'd come up along side the boat and I could roll into it and then into the boat. not very eloquently I might add, but it worked.

make sure you bring a comfortable sleeping pad for those hips, lots of water, some NA beer (so you can hang with the rest of them) and have a great time!
alaskagirl4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #5
Paddling Since: 1994
Thats the spirt. Riley swam skull when he was in his third trimester and now he is a badass kayaker at 14. Swimming rapids pregnant must be good for the fetus right?
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #6
Denver, Colorado
Best tip I can provide is to dig some holes in the sand, sort of a tripod inverted. Depending on how big her belly and b--bs are now, she may not move for 4-6 hours. When my wife and a buddy's were 7 months prego, I dug 6 holes appropiately sized for their parts at a beach in Toronto. They hadn't stayed that still for months, I think we played for 4-6 hours and they just napped saying they hadn't laid on their bellies in quite awhile!
Use and enjoy, it's a great trick

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote