Mountain Buzz banner

Permitted River Trips for Dummies

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Rojo 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm a new rafter this year and I'm really interested in multi day trips in the future. I'm wondering if anyone would be kind enough to explain the steps or basics from A to Z for a newb?

I know there is a lottery system. What I don't know is how to apply, what it costs, odds, how many boats per group, where to find regs... really anything else.

Any of you care to share the ins and outs of permitted river running?

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Welcome to the Buzz!

I'll third joining AW. One of the biggest misperceptions about rafting is that you need a permit to do it. There are hundreds of river miles in ID and all over the West that you don't need an advance permit to raft. If you're new to the sport, I'd recommend easier, non-permit floats to start while you're learning the oars and then you can put in for permits next season.

Many river permits have different trip requirements. The deadline for all the lotteries for good beginner trips is over for this season, though some rivers have cancellations. You can find out more at Rivergeek.com.

Enjoy!

-AH

#5 ·
Find a local club/crew.

Ask around at the local boat shops and access points for any local clubs to network with. Being active in a club introduces you to other like-minded river souls that can teach you a lot. Whitewater can be a solo experience but is most often a group affair and finding a good crew to fit in with gets you on the fast track, safely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.