Permit Lottery Application Strategy - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2017   #1
Pieter Porcupine

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Permit Lottery Application Strategy

Did I do something wrong?

In years past I have applied for permits by putting "1" as my group size. The logic is that if awarded the permit, determine how many people who can go and then change group size accordingly. This year it seems that I have done the wrong thing and directed the 12 people that came to my permit party as well. We have several draws on the San Juan, Rogue, and Hells Canyon. However, we can not adjust our group sizes. Did I royally screw this up or what? I am bummed and hoping for other permits to drop their size so we can pick up the crumbs. I also want to learn from my mistake and learn how to properly apply for permits in years to come.

Thanks,

-Pete

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017   #2

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainmanPete View Post
Did I do something wrong?

In years past I have applied for permits by putting "1" as my group size. The logic is that if awarded the permit, determine how many people who can go and then change group size accordingly. This year it seems that I have done the wrong thing and directed the 12 people that came to my permit party as well. We have several draws on the San Juan, Rogue, and Hells Canyon. However, we can not adjust our group sizes. Did I royally screw this up or what? I am bummed and hoping for other permits to drop their size so we can pick up the crumbs. I also want to learn from my mistake and learn how to properly apply for permits in years to come.

Thanks,

-Pete
San Juan and Rogue ask for group size and that determines the number of permits they allot as they have a max number of people per day. Most of the other rivers have a number of permits policy, which is case for Hells. I fear you have messed up the SJ and Rogue as the number you put on the permit is the max number they award you. Hopefully you can get more folks on with cancellations. The rivers are all a bit different as to how their system works so you have to read the fine print.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017   #3

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
MountainManPete.

I know it sucks but I'm sure I'm not incorrect in saying that many of us have fallen foul of the system, I for one feel your pain.

Years ago I didn't get an acceptance back in time (when it was by mail) and lost out on a permit. Memory is hazy (I have tried to erase it) but it was either Gates or MF - never have been on Gates and it took 20 years to get back on the MF. Then a couple of years ago when the Dino rivers moved to rec.gov there were a number of groups who didn't read the fine print and pay fees by the cut off date and all those permits got reissued.

Also when Idaho 4 rivers went to rec.gov it took me at least one cycle before I realized that you could actually apply for each river separately unlike when they were on the single paper form.

I tend to read and reread now but I've still been known to screw up on the pull downs and request (and get, of course!) a date when I am very clearly still in school and can't play hooky.

Good luck with cancellations. Rec.gov does make that easy for us, especially us introverts who hate the phone and would never use the old call in system (though I think you still have to do this for Rogue).

W
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017   #4

Deso

I know with Deso you can add on all along, but once you print the permit that is it.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I got a Hells Canyon trip going July 20th, you can change # people just have to pay the difference I believe.
Old 02-16-2017   #6

Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
You can change or add people on Hells with a maximum of 24 I believe. We added 2 more people on the list when we checked in at the put in

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Smitty38 is offline   Reply With Quote