Old 08-04-2014   #11
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Similar to Roberts81 warning on Westwater, I would stay away from Browns Canyon if you classify yourself as beginner/intermediate. At these flows it is a bit more forgiving, but still several moves to make in Pinball and Widowmaker that could pin your boat if you don't take the right lines. Browns is an intermediate level run. At this level, Upper C has a couple rapids, but more forgiving than Browns. Ruby Horsethief has no signficiant rapids at all.

Upper C and Ruby HT are you best options and I would do Ruby HT if you are going without other boats. Both have details on respective websites (might both be BLM, cannot recall) that tell you what you need to have and give you a sense of the water. Also agree that you should pick up Colorado Rivers & Creeks. I wasn't aware that was hard to find now, but it has tons of good info.

denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #12
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Last time i was in Confluence Kayaks in Denver they had a copy of it. It's a great book and worth every penny. I plan trips while i poop.

Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Thanks a lot for all the feedback guys! We actually did Brown's last weekend in a mini me! We R4'd it, but I was not steering the boat... so much fun! I think we'll do Upper C next weekend and hopefully we can get out to Ruby/HT by the end of the season.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
how do you like putting 4 in a mini-me? I have a mini max and I put 4 in there a few times and it makes it so much different to maneuver. So easy to run big lines with 2 strong men in it but as soon as we put my gf in the front it rides quite differently and takes a lot more work to move thru technical lines.
Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #15
Denver, Colorado
We had 2 girls and 2 guys... I sat up front with my wife and opposite the guy in the back. It was a blast... with 4 people in such a small boat we had a lot of maneuverability and power.

How do you like your mini max? I just picked one up last weekend from Riverboat works. I put a fishing frame on it, but were planning on doing some R4 stuff on it as well. You think you could R6 on a mini max?

Browns Canyon on mini me
Old 08-04-2014   #16
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Doesnt Ruby HT require a permit?
daairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #17
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Ruby-horse thief requires camping reservations, but not a permit for the water.
JessaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014   #18
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
What's a "wife unit?"

6 is too many for a mini max. 4 tops.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #19
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Consider putting in at State Bridge and floating to catamount take out. You'll have better camping and fewer boats- bring ear plugs for the trains on upper C- you've been warned......

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014   #20
Denver, Colorado
"Wife Unit" is just simply my wife. lol

I've camped at State Bridge many times... I actually like the noise the of trains for sleeping if you can believe that. I'll definitely consider State Bridge to Catamount... I hadn't even thought about it. Thanks!