Outboard Motor - Deso Trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Outboard Motor - Deso Trip

We launch on Deso in about a week and plan on using an Outboard Motor for the first time. We have a 6HP four stroke and plan on pushing 6 boats. The boat is registered with Colorado Parks and Wildlife and it is my understanding this registration will work in Utah. Do we also need to carry a fire extinguisher?

I am also curious about what people do with the motor after Jack Creek. Do most people just leave it tilted up on the back, or do people detach the motor and strap is down on its side to protect if from falling off the boat. We do know that the motor can only be set down with the tiller handle down to avoid getting oil in the cylinders and carb. Guessing the flows will be in the 18-20k range, so not sure how big the rapids will be to worry about bucking the motor off the back. I get mixed reviews on this.

We are bringing an extra plug and prop and a small tool kit for field repairs. Anything else people bring to deal with the motor?

zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
We launch on Deso in about a week and plan on using an Outboard Motor for the first time. We have a 6HP four stroke and plan on pushing 6 boats. The boat is registered with Colorado Parks and Wildlife and it is my understanding this registration will work in Utah. Do we also need to carry a fire extinguisher?

I am also curious about what people do with the motor after Jack Creek. Do most people just leave it tilted up on the back, or do people detach the motor and strap is down on its side to protect if from falling off the boat. We do know that the motor can only be set down with the tiller handle down to avoid getting oil in the cylinders and carb. Guessing the flows will be in the 18-20k range, so not sure how big the rapids will be to worry about bucking the motor off the back. I get mixed reviews on this.

We are bringing an extra plug and prop and a small tool kit for field repairs. Anything else people bring to deal with the motor?
We just secure ours with an extra couple of straps to keep it stable in the tilted up position. We always run the Lower Salmon and Snake like this as we use the motor on the Snake Lake. I don't remember if we have ever bothered with the motor on Deso. Never had any problems with it. At first we used to take it off the mount and strap it down but then realized that it was better just left on. It can change the balance of the boat so you may need to account for that.

The Fast Start stuff can be useful and if your motor has the cotter pin thingy by the prop definitely spare ones, we sheared a few on our first 2 stroke. Sorry I don't know the rules about fire extinguishers, if we carry one it is in an ammo can - whoops, that's going to be easy to grab in an emergency
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
In my experience, the Deso rangers are pretty lax with the rules. I didn't have it registered the first time I took one and they essentially "looked the other way" and "didn't see any motor during check in". I had it registered the second time, but left the paperwork at home and they still didn't really care. They did mention that its a different jurisdiction policing things once you get down to Nefertiti Camp and they might care, but the Deso rangers definitely didn't last year.

I left my motor on the transom for most of the trip, but I did take it off for a few of the big rapid days. Honestly, there are a few stretches in the middle of the trip that sure are nice to have the motor for so its nice to have it there ready to go. I only ever did two rafts (mine plus one) though, so it was easy to lash together and separate.

I did bring a fire extinguisher and they will ask about an oil and gas clean up kit so you might want to think about that too. I'd say at least one extra shear pin is very good to bring too. I broke one on my first trip and was glad to have a spare. Don't forget a spark plug socket too. I had a spare spark plug but none of my tools fit on the spark plug to take it out so I couldn't swap it when I wanted to.

Oh, and my gas tank is like 3.5 gallons I think, and I used about 2/3 of it during the trip if you were curious about how much to bring. You might use a bit more with 6 rafts, but probably not much more.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

thailand, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
You should be fine with CPW registration. An accessible fire extinguisher is required in both Colorado and Utah waters. One thing I have been reminded of by rangers, is that if you did get caught drinking while running a motor rig, it would be considered a DUI, with the same sort of repercussions( this was a Cataract Ranger).
Just be careful of rocks if you leave it on the bracket for rapids, I've done it in Cat, just have to not mess up.
Also, it is best for the motor to shut it off at the end of the day, by shutting off the fuel supply and running till it stops, guess this helps keep the needle valve from sticking( guess how I learned that one!)
Old 1 Week Ago   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

thailand, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Another PITA problem I have had to deal with, is getting debris stuck in the cooling line, the best way I have found so far, is to put the end of an air pump hose over the port where water pumps out from the impeller( at the top where your engine "pees"), and have someone pump, to try and force the crap out, with air.
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I've never brought a fire extinguisher on desolation canyon. Utah state law says that outboard on boats with open construction the extinguisher is optional but recommended.

Utah boating laws can be found through the utah state parks.
https://stateparks.utah.gov/activiti...oating-safety-

I've always been asked for registration and boat numbers/stickers. Make sure you have a placard with the numbers you can hang on the oar locks or frame. They have checked that it was the make/model of boat

Never been asked about oil containment kit. Will need to look into that this year.

It has been 2 years since I have motored on desolation/gray canyon. I use my outboard on an adjustable motor lift and we just lift it up on the jack and tilt it back.
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Thanks for all the great info. Definitely curious to see how a motor works on a raft.
zoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Deso running 20k + today, likely 12-15k for your trip, why would you bring a motor when the river is going approx. 6 mph? At that rate you'll be to Jack Creek in just over 4 hours... without any noise or hassling with gas, fire extinguisher (yes, you need one: both Utah AND BLM regs apply - make sure it is rated for marine use, i.e., USCG approved), registration (numbers displayed), etc.
I've motored Deso last 3 years (at flows under 2500) and definitely believe there's a time to bring one. But I wouldn't count on benevolent rangers: Utah DNR also has jurisdiction and sometimes is at put-in; more often at Nefertiti or below, on the daily stretch. If you bring a motor, be prepared to show your papers, have numbers displayed, etc.
You might also want to "practice" on a little slower water before pushing a flotilla at 7-8 mph if you've never done it before...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
Deso running 20k + today, likely 12-15k for your trip, why would you bring a motor when the river is going approx. 6 mph? At that rate you'll be to Jack Creek in just over 4 hours... without any noise or hassling with gas, fire extinguisher (yes, you need one: both Utah AND BLM regs apply - make sure it is rated for marine use, i.e., USCG approved), registration (numbers displayed), etc.
I've motored Deso last 3 years (at flows under 2500) and definitely believe there's a time to bring one. But I wouldn't count on benevolent rangers: Utah DNR also has jurisdiction and sometimes is at put-in; more often at Nefertiti or below, on the daily stretch. If you bring a motor, be prepared to show your papers, have numbers displayed, etc.
You might also want to "practice" on a little slower water before pushing a flotilla at 7-8 mph if you've never done it before...
Agree with this. We got off a little over a week ago. Easily made Jacks Ck as our last option, with all other upstream campsites full, by 4:30 with a late morning start.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
just got off Deso at 17K cfs,
you don't need no motor. current moves along just fine.
dbendell is offline   Reply With Quote