Old 04-13-2016   #11
Darby, Montana
Paddling Since: 2005
Mid August

BAMBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #12
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I ran it last year on Aug 14th and there were a lot of 18ft rafts on the river. This year will have more water than last.

I'm with the others. If I can only fit two other people/gear on my boat, I only invite 2 people. I don't invite more than that and then just "plan" on other boaters carrying the them. If I have a couple of extra people that I would like to bring, I will invite other boaters on the trip WITH THE STATED purpose of carrying them.

Are you thinking of renting boats to fit the number of People?

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #13
Salida, Colorado
These two were tagalongs on my last Salmon

Lots of fun and couldn't pry them out of the IK's. A great experience as they headed off to college.
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #14
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Depends on the crew I guess, if everyone knows everyone. Sharing people in different rafts shouldn't be a problem. If people don't know each other, would be an issue.

Each boatman packs their own boat specifically to their needs, even one extra dry bag would throw my vibe off on my boat. I would definitely need to know ahead of time if I am hauling someone else's shit and people on my boat.

In my crew, there is one IKer that does completely self supporting personal gear. I don't mind those IKers at all.
-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #15
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Ditch the IKs completely and those people all ride in a RMR Storm. Just rent the boat and paddles at Neff's shop. Those people will have a blast in that boat.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #16
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Sembob View Post
Ditch the IKs completely and those people all ride in a RMR Storm. Just rent the boat and paddles at Neff's shop. Those people will have a blast in that boat.

That makes a ton of sense! I'd love to paddle a storm through there. He's even got a semi stern frame that he had on the lochsa.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016   #17
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1976
one boat per person.
stuntsheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016   #18
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I took my IK on a 3 day trip a few weeks ago. I was in my raft, we had plenty of seating, but there was a 14 year old kid that wanted to try it. He ended up glued to the thing by the end of the 2nd day. 3rd day he flipped and made a perfect recovery and finished the day running harder stuff kicking ass. That was a success. Him and his dad are shopping for a couple IK's now, they will be the first boats for both of them.
Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016   #19
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
There is a misconception that smaller rafts are always more maneuverable than a bigger rafts. An over loaded smaller raft will not be more maneuverable than a bigger raft, if it's drafting too deep because of the load.

Assuming the 14ft cat is not one of the larger diameter tube cats (i.e. AIRE LION), it will probably only haul two folks and little to no group gear. That leaves four people (4) and their personal gear and group gear per 14ft raft. That leaves very little wiggle room if you get to the ramp and find out that youíre overloaded.

Iíve also noticed that if the weather is warm and nice, the IKís will get used often. But if it turns into a cold and rainy trip, no one want to be on an IK. If so, everyone will get on the rafts in mass.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016   #20
Meridian, Idaho
I start planning with 3 people per 14'er for 3 or 4 days. 2 people per 14'er for 7 days. I like lots of room to spread out and for gear, food, beer, and ice. I dont like to row a pig of a raft and like to be able to fish and row for someone else who is fishing. I usually row my 13' raft and only like 1 passenger, usually my son, dad, or a close friend. Forcing a passenger onto an unknowing captain is huge no no in my book. We do a fishing/drinking man trip in hells late season almost every year. We rent a monster 18' cat to haul the bulk of the gear and keep the rafts light. It is the most fun trip I do most years. When I want to carefully ration and worry about what stuff I can bring I go on a backpacking trip. My son loves to hike so he and I do a 3 or 4 day backpacking trip with sub 40lb packs almost every year. I dream of and long for my boat to carry all my crap every time we do it I love cold beer, great food, and paco pads

Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote