October Multi-day Trips - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-07-2016   #11

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylauren View Post
Trying to decide a good Multi-day run for Mid-October of this year. Looking like Cataract of Main Salmon are the options, but I have heard some nay-sayings regarding flows on the Main.

Any of you folks have any suggestions to make trip planning easier.

Also, I don't have a motor, so there is that for Cataract too.
I'm planning an Oct. 6 thru 16 Cataract Canyon trip (non-motorized).
PM me if you'd be interested in joining.
Brian

briandburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016   #12

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
if you want a long, varied trip, you can snag an open westwater then just keep floating. resupply at moab and then down thru cataract. it's mainly flat after cisco for quite a ways but it's fun to see that country and follow the river all the way. scenery gets stunning again as you get to fischer towers, etc. great island camping that time of year.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #13

Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by semievolved View Post
if you want a long, varied trip, you can snag an open westwater then just keep floating. resupply at moab and then down thru cataract. it's mainly flat after cisco for quite a ways but it's fun to see that country and follow the river all the way. scenery gets stunning again as you get to fischer towers, etc. great island camping that time of year.
I like this idea!
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016   #14

pojoaque, New Mexico
yeah it's great. we got the shuttlers to meet us at moab so we could pick up a motor. these days, the cataract out to dirty devil has enough current that a motor isn't worth the trouble in my opinion. i think we used green river shuttles and they were great and not too expensive but i could dig that info out if needbe.
Old 08-08-2016   #15
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylauren View Post
....or Main Salmon are the options, but I have heard some nay-sayings regarding flows on the Main.
Who is nay saying? Where you run the Main Salmon is almost 200 miles from the headwaters. It always flows. Never heard of it being too low.

FWIW I am doing the Middle Fork Salmon which is about a 1/3 the flow of the Main in late September and it WILL be low, but the Main is cake compared to that.

Reading this made me interested for Lodore.....in October....hmmm.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #16

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I can only speak for myself, but I would not call WW through Cataract Canyon without a motor a good time. There are maybe 15 miles of swift moving water through that entire ~200 mile stretch

Personally I wouldn't even want to do just Cat without a motor. Unless the flow is over 20,000 you're screwed if it's windy.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #17

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I second the Colorado River stretch, start it in Loma and you can get in almost 2 weeks to Hite.

Motors are a personal preference, many folks like them, likely more don't. Ya it's slow water and strong winds can make for some difficult days, but it will still be enjoyable regardless.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #18

pojoaque, New Mexico
agree that wind could make things tough for that lower part. that's why we try to have flexible enough schedule (optional extra day or days) that we can do short days (low-wind mornings and then hang out) or just hunker down a day or two until wind abates. nothing in the desert is for sure, but fall trips usually have less wind than spring trips do. it's less than 30 miles and if you really got in a bind, you could row it out at night.
Old 08-08-2016   #19
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
I second the Colorado River stretch, start it in Loma and you can get in almost 2 weeks to Hite.
I did this run once, gave ourselves 27 day's, was an awesome trip that I won't forget. It can rain a bunch and give you some good, or even kinda high flows in October.
Anything from gates or Westy down, either side of the Green and Colorado drainage, is a great fall trip, I think.