Old 03-25-2014   #11
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
We also had 2 way radios so the folks at each end with an oar could easily communicate.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #12
jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 87
I will always do the night float vs. taking out at diamond or taking days away from the upper canyon. It was such a good way to end a canyon trip.

I am sure having people on the oars and steering keeps you off the rocks more. We just floated. We had several people stay up all night and keep watch and only got stuck once in an eddy.

Didn't get stuck in Sand Bar Alley and didn't even come close to the docks.

One thing to keep in mind is the water flows. We left Separation around 9 and wanted to get too Pearce around 9 am. With the flows we had ( around 8k) we came up about 7 miles short and were late to the takeout.

In the am get ready for a rude wake up call as you exit the canyon. When they say there are helicopters in that area, its and understatement. Have fun.

JHMainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #13
Telluride, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thank you for the beta everyone! You have helped me be a better TL! Please keep any other thoughts coming, thanks again to all who responded!!
Whiskey is for drinking; Water is for fighting over
chrisjaquet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #14
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I was going to say, "If you use Moenkopi as your outfitter, Brady will give you all the good beta you need," buy you beat me to it, Brady.

I like Brady's idea of deflating a floor for peeing. This is a VERY important consideration, especially if you will be imbibing during dinner or during the float. What we did was lash one of the cargo nets securely between three of our boats. This created a a safe area for females to go cop a squat. One girl used it three times... I'm glad I didn't have to drive home with that one--pee breaks just kill your travel time!
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #15
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Love the night float! We barged up downstream of separation, I can't remember where but it is used by the Hualapai as there is a gross toilet there. If you want to know I can dig up my map.
The place you mention here is Spencer canyon a.k.a. lava cliff rapid.
You had me at 'Hey, Row'
kikii875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #16
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
Jeez, Brady, you take all the fun out of it. No cluster fukin allowed here, 'ay?

and people thought I was prepared...
sealion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014   #17
subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
Believe me when I say - Brady at Moenkopi is the man!

turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote