Old 09-11-2014   #1
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Next Adventure

I did my first run down the Smith in Montana this year.... Absolutely amazing. The scenery was beautiful, the fishing was out of this world and the time spent with friends will last forever.
I got off the river and haven't stopped thinking about my next chance to do it again.
Anybody want to chime in and tell me about other trips that would be good to try? Looking for more than a couple days on the river, great sights, great fishing and good times. The whitewater is optional but certainly wouldn't deter me. I'd like to keep it somewhat mellow as I'm thinking of taking some younger "fly fishermen in training".

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

MDC902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #2
Grande Rhonde or John Day

oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #3
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Thanks. I've heard a few folks suggesting the same. Is the Grande Ronde still a good run in late October? Steelhead?
MDC902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #4
Check with these guys

Minam Raft Rentals Minam Shuttle Service Minam Store
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014   #5
Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2010
I'll second the Grande Ronde, though it might be a bit bony in October. Did three days in early July with my three oldest boys and had a blast. Great campsites, just enough busy water to make it splashy, but nothing challenging. Good fishing. Good times.

Griffis Family Outdoors: July 11-13, 2014: Grande Ronde River, OR (Minam to Troy)
mountaindocdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #6
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
3rd for the JD and GR, we did both this year - they were great. I too started overnighting on the Smith - Ran it all but one year from 1999 to 2011, 4 2 trip years and one back-to-back; took off drove back to the put in to meet another trip and put in the next morning.

Other rivers to consider NF and SF flathead (SF is pack in and $$ but well worth it). SF Snake there is an overnighter that can be stretched to three We put in higher, camped at the first campground on the stretch and then the last, and rowed out on the third day... There are other rivers where you may need to get creative but lots of people float multiple nights on the Yellowstone by either staying on publicly owned islands or at fishing access sites. You could probably string trips together like that just about anywhere.

I'd like to find more trips too, I rarely do the Smith anymore thanks to their dog policy so I'm always looking for more overnighters... Bring them on!
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014   #7
cedar city, Utah
Being from Carbondale....

The Green River A-B-C sections is well worth a visit with your criteria. Its a short multi-day trip but offers amazing scenery, world class fishing and designated but nice camping. Can be epically crowded during a hatch though. Fringe season can be pleasant and offers late season floats because of the dam.'

I hear good things from a float and fish side about both the South Fork and Henry Forks of the Snake. Both are shorter than the Smith but offer multi-day floating with solid fly fishing.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote