Old 04-19-2007   #1
Silverthorne, Colorado
Need info on rafting moab/fisher towers

was thinking about rafting the moab/fisher towers area, I have never rafted there so I have little info about permit requirements, camping possibilities, and any other considerations/restrictions
If anyone has info about the above concerns your feedback would be a huge help for me...

I called the westwater permit dept and got little info...

I understand it is a short run but was hoping to stop in the middle for a this possible? this would be a private float kinda thing using our raft..
thanks for any feedback

two miles high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #2
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I did the stretch from Cisco to Moab many years ago. Its about fifty miles with an additional access about half way at Hittle Bottom. It was running about 17,000 when we did it and we did it in four days. There were a couple of IIIish wavetrain rapids near the beginning before mellowing out to II and riffles/floating for the rest of the trip. Fun time, beautiful scenery. Not sure about the fishing as none of us were fishers but it seemed like it would be decent. Lots of great camping along the way.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #3
Silverthorne, Colorado
thanks for the feedback count...
from searching on the internet it looks like we could maybe put in at Dewey Bridge ? (dont have the time for the longer cisco run you mentioned) and go to maob from there....
from looking at this site it looks like we could use one of the big bend camp areas and just tie off the raft on the side of the river...this is just speculation though

It appears also that a permit might not be required for this stretch, so now my biggest concern is nabbing one of the camp spots on april28-29

any others have experience on this stretch?
Old 04-19-2007   #4
Send a message via ICQ to northfwestg
moab run

did that fisher towers run, camping galore, just pick up that POOP, and oh yea TIE THAT RAFT OFF GOOD now ya hear, goforit,
northfwestg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #5
Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
There are a couple of camp sites on river right near Onion Creek. River only access for these sites. No permit necessary. All of the camping areas that don't have an outhouse require that you have a toilet system in that area (primitave sites along the Colorado, up Onion Creek, Indian Creek, etc.), whether your floating or not. Enjoy!
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007   #6
Silverthorne, Colorado
thanks for the feedback...finally found a decent map online that should help also...

oh yeah one last question..anyone know if you can float all the way to moab boat dock for take out?
Old 04-19-2007   #7
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Not much action below Take out beach, but I'm pretty sure you can float to the Moab take out on the north side by the bridge or float to the take out at Gold Bar campground or to the Potash take out. From Moab to Potash, it's all flat.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007   #8
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Just for a heads up, I know there is a car show in Moab next weekend (April 28th) which tends to gather a fairly large crowd, try and land your campsite early or shoot for the suggested Onion Creek spots (never been to them).
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #9
Silverthorne, Colorado
anyone know if you can bring dogs on that stretch of river and camp out ?
Old 04-24-2007   #10
Nederland, Colorado
dogs yes

yes you can have your dogs on that section just keep them under control and you will have no prob. I have let my pup run the river right side almost the whole way under voice control.

yukonjack is offline   Reply With Quote