Old 03-17-2015   #21
Castle Rock, Colorado
P.S. We were in very calm water when I used my PFD as a cushion.

Retribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #22
Castle Rock, Colorado
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
My advice depends on your allegiances. What flags are you flying?
"Don't Tread on me" {with the skulls}

"Come and Take It" {with a AR15 Pic}

You can't see it but there was also a Sig .40 mounted on the left rear canopy pole set up for cross draw.

Old 03-17-2015   #23
Castle Rock, Colorado
I also did quite a bit of other custom work such as wireless, solar powered MP3 player and phone charger, water proof phone carrier, torch holder (even though we decided it wouldn't be best to float at night),custom canopy, custom seat, two water proof saddle bags and a rod holder.
Old 03-17-2015   #24
Castle Rock, Colorado
Originally Posted by boatergirlie View Post
I would recommend Ruby Horsetheif. No real rapids but amazing desert canyon scenery and wonderful camping opportunities (a permit is required). Please keep in mind that when you begin to do overnight river trips then you must bring along the required equipment (different for each river section) which can include a fire pan and GROOVER (amoung other things). If you do happen to do an over night on the upper Colorado (which I love) or any other river for that matter please bring a fire pan and groover even though these items are not required as of yet. It is a narrow river corridor that see's a lot of use, please take care of it and leave it better than when you found it

Good luck to you!
We had a portable head and a fire pan made from an aluminum water heater pan. It's nice because you can fold it up. When ready to use, we placed it on four rocks above the ground and it worked great. A ranger came to our campsite and freaked out over it. He thought it was great. They cost about $8. and weigh about 1.5 lbs. If you try this, make sure to put a little mud in the bottom before lighting your fire.
Old 03-17-2015   #25
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
You need to get yourself into a real boat. Theres two here on the buzz located in colorado, 12' maravia for 1200$ or a puma for 800$. You can rig either up nicely for fish/overnights.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #26
Brentwood, Kalifornia
Paddling Since: 1998
12' maravia for 1200$ or a puma for 800$. You can rig either up nicely for fish/overnights.
I would do this and slap together a frame with some 1" EMT from the hardware store and a mig welder then add some Carlisle oars (this can be done for around 50 bucks if you have access to a welder and tube bender). Not only will you have a more capable rig but you will be able to hold more beer! Pumas are sweet rigs imo.
headinclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #27
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Look at floating from Lasuases near Lajara just south of Alamosa to the Lee Trail in northern New Mexico on the Rio Grande. You'll have to pack your gear up a short, steep hill at the end, but the stretch is ideal for a couple nights out. Easy class 2 water flowing through Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #28
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
In my opinion all boats are niche boats. Like I said, I use mine a lot on tough to get to places or when I am fishing alone.
I bought a Puma (and they are sweet boats) back in the early 90s and people said I should of gotten a real boat then too.
If you had pics of a lightly loaded pack raft or IK people here would be cheering you on. Just stay off the bigger water. It sounds like you already know your limits. I see people in canoes on rivers all the time. Your more stable than they. Go have fun with that boat.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #29
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post

Scott - I respectfully disagree, but Ret's aren't ready for Brown's with those rigs or a rented raft, and I'm glad to see him say so right up front. The Milk Run from Johnson Village to Ruby Mt., maybe, not Brown's. Another stretch on the Ark would be Big Bend to Salida, or down by Cotapaxi there's a pretty "uneventful" stretch that would be a good float and where they could snag a fish or two. Tough to find camping down there, and you won't be able to string together the mileage you want without some Class III rapids.

Hey Andy

I think you missed the run Browns at LOW water part of my recommendation.

Browns at 600 cfs should not be a problem for them in my view

At highwater ...they would be in trouble

paddle on

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015   #30
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Even the upper C in those things are a bad idea. I.E.

Last season end of July my group pulled one of these skeeters as I call them out of the water above needle this guys buddy still had his and decided to run needle and slammed into the wall and bent a oar. We dropped them off at the hot springs and they walked out.

Oh and buy a damn P.F.D.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself

Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote