Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 02-12-2015   #11
Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Originally Posted by hilltop_yodeler View Post
Our put-in date is July 19.

I am assuming that by mid-late July that the flows will have dropped, but I don't know for sure.
The MFS has been between 2.0 and 2.5 ft on the date you launch in all but extreme flow years.

I guess my difference of opinion with some of the other replies about taking a 5 year old stems from what your self assessment of being a "competent boater" means. At those flows I believe a competent boater should be able to read water well enough and maneuver the boat sufficiently and with confidence so that they are not careening off of rocks and getting stuck all of the time. Can't do it = Don't take the kid. So float the Poudre (which I know nothing about), be honest and decide for yourself.

And when you are on the MFS, remember to run your tubes a little soft so that you "slime" over any rocks that you do not miss. I ran the MFS at 2.7 ft with a guy from Colorado a few years ago. He was stuck at least 20 times the first day. No one else was having problems. I could not convince him to let some air out of his tubes. It also didn't help that he had only floated desert SW rivers and could not read water very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MFS flow.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	9340  

Real adventure is only one bad decision away.
Wadeinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #12
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by FatmanZ View Post
For me the decision comes down to the group make-up. It makes a huge difference if I know I have a solid group of rafters and kayakers who can help keep an eye out for us, run safety (boat or shore) at the bottom of the harder or more technical rapids, etc.
This is key. I pm'ed with the OP with some input already, but for anyone boating with kids, the abilities and willingness of other trip participants to run super safety and lead difficult sections can be the difference in a good time or ruining your kid for life on boating. Or worse.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #13
Ketchum, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1979
I concur with some of the other posts. It is your first time rowing that stretch and even a mature 5 yr old is a little too young to fend for themselves when things get sticky. MF should be between 2-3' which is an ok flow for a newby to the MF but will be a little bumpy on top. Commercials don't allow kids below 10 yrs old. I am taking my 10 yr old for the first time this year(didn't get a permit last year) and I have over 40 MF trips under my belt. It is all about the what ifs.
Idaho-Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
The MF was my step-up from class III trips and I first ran it at 2.5 feet. Great level for an intermediate rafter the first time. However, I was pretty well exhausted the first two days from the constant concentration that was required. I was lucky enough to be following some very experienced rafters, who kept a close eye on me. I would not take a 5 year old on your first MF trip. We started the "river kid" in our group on the Main Salmon at 4 years old, but didn't take her on the MF until she was about 11-12. If you are trying to split your attention between the river and the kid, something will suffer. Just my 2 cents.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #15
Fort Collins, Colorado

There have been a lot of good posts here and you all have really helped me to make my decision. The comparisons with the Poudre solidified what I already thought about the MF - thanks for chiming in on this. I was already feeling pretty reluctant to take her on a river that I have not yet been on, knowing that there is higher potential for issues to occur. It seems pretty clear to me now that she's a bit too young to run the MF and that we'll continue to stick to the easier rivers for now.

Thanks again to all who posted and who sent PM's! I greatly appreciate it!
hilltop_yodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015   #16
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1983
Good decision

Take me instead. I have run the river 12 times. I know the good campsites.

Mark Henry 505-387-3711
OregonianRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015   #17
pocatello, Idaho
It is a trick- all the campsites are the best.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote