Old 05-13-2014   #61
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Any recommendations on the best radios/head sets for the kayak probes? My buddy and I are the probes, which I've done before for this trip, but our radios were not the best in terms of waterproof-ness and distance/range. We have 3-4 lightweight catarafts that we are probing Marsh for. Thanks. John

jlsmtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014   #62
Big Sky, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
we used the cheap ones. kayakers used ziplocks i think and rafters put them in life jacket pockets because there's no splashing.

afraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #63
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The road to launch from the bridge is open to 4WD and melting fast. The road to Boundary is looking good. I took some pics but can't post until later.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tread carefully in the meadow by the bridge on Marsh. Just because there isn't a sign in one particular spot doesn't mean it's OK to drive down. Stay on the roads, move your extra vehicles to the road parking and be kind. This has gotten hammered in the past and we need to do better.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #64
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
That is great news about Boundary!
idahoriversrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #65
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Once I get the pics you will see the road is starting to show about 1/2 mile from the turnoff. Once that happens Fir Cr could be opened in as little as a week or so depending on weather. Banner hasn't frozen at night or just barely hits freezing and is loosing an inch per day in SWE right now.
I think that next weekend if I wanted to get over Fir Creek I think my crew could - there is no telling what the debris fields from the avies will yield for difficulty though.

That is assuming the temps hold and Banner continues to lose an inch per day or almost that. AAAAannnnnddd you are willing to go in with high clearance, chained up rigs and willing to shovel for several hours with multiple people.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #66
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Just got back from running the Main and met a group at Corn Creek yesterday (jet boat shuttle). The group just completed the MFS from Marsh and were continuing on to Riggins. Said they had one Cat tube pop on Marsh and the rafts (looked like 13') had no problems, and no other issues above Dagger. They were in a rush to get going and didn't get more beta. I believe they said their whole back to back was 7 days.

Since it seems like the high water is just about to start (we had the ramp rise about 6' on us at Carey Saturday night. Be careful out there and watch for new hazards!!!

I will post more info about my trip in another thread tomorrow.
tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #67
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
I took off the MF yesterday and put on last Thursday, self support kayaks and we had zero issues. There were a couple logs that were ĺ span of the river but easy to avoid in a kayak. I think the same for a raft but you will want to scout. There was lots of rafts strapping down when we put on and Iím assuming they did fine. Lots of large avalanches with tons of wood in them. Once that snow melts who know what will happen downstream. Hopefully Boundary will be open before that happens. Still lots of snow up there and the Ranger said he would be surprised if the road is open the first week of June but what does he know. It was amazing watching the logs float down the MF. Every day there were full trees running with us so I wouldn't go off my beta alone. Lots of wood moving everywhere so it could be completely different today. Be careful out there.
Aroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #68
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I concur that this is a great thread for Accurate information for folks making the trip. I'm heading out of Boulder on Thursday, May 22nd and looking to run one of the rivers up there. Have a permit for the Selway on the 24th but at 7' and the road still closed, I think we are going to have to move our trip.
I'm tempted to do MFS, but we've got 1 raft now and 2 IK's as I've had folks bail. Sounds like the MFS could be a great trip if the river doesn't rise suddenly. Anyone out there planning a trip around the same time? Rounding the bend on the Main sounds like a blast also as I've always wanted to combine them.
All the info on conditions is appreciated from you local folks and folks that just took off. Also, anyone running a trip, we'd love to hook on for safety, and camaraderie.
jirwindisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #69
boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Mfs is a good option, but ik's..... They better be pretty f'n skookum
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014   #70
Louisville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
Mfs is a good option, but ik's..... They better be pretty f'n skookum
Hmm, my son did IK the MFS when he was 11, but at much lower levels. He's 18 now and a beast, but perhaps this is not the time. Maybe just a Main run this year.

jirwindisc is offline   Reply With Quote