Main Salmon - Wasps - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2016   #11

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Ok was asked for more information here goes. I had a friend who was stung in the mouth (drinking a beer), it takes quite a while to get off the river. Several of us had epi-pens and we used several. She was air evacuated to the hospital, so first question does your insurance cover that? When you buy an Epi-pen it now comes in a 2 pack because they don't last that long, for some patients. https://www.epipen.com/about-epipen/faq You will likely be hours away from help so it is good to be prepared. The Bendryl helps to reverse the allergic reaction the emergency room said it is good to load up on Benadryl and take more than the regular dose. I suggest if you have an allergy you discuss the specifics with your Dr, so you know exactly what to do in a wilderness situation. I also have prednisone with me due to another medical condition I also gave that to her to help with the allergic reaction. Make sure your Dr understands it will be many hours before you get help. We had a nurse with us and the emergency room drs said we did well. Know before you go; that helicopter ride was about $16,000 as I recall fortunately it was covered. Also make sure people know where your epi-pens are, good to have a conversation with the group before you leave. A written protocol is very helpful.

rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016   #12

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
yellow jackets

ONe last thought my friend now has a cover for her drinks, those devil yellow jackets love sugary drinks and beer also. She now receives allergy treatments for her Yellow jacket allergy she has been receiving shots for a few years. In my experience yellow jackets are the bigger issue, we went last year and a majority of us got stung.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #13

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Epi-Pens

Epi-pens, at least the old ones and I believe the new ones as well, actually have several doses left once the initial dose is shot. You will need a serrated blade to cut the back end off near the very end of the pen, not the end with the needle, be very careful when you do this. One, there is a big ass spring that shoots the needle into the flesh that will be released once you cut it open...so do not have anyone standing behind it when you cut it open. Two, the syringe is made of glass and can come out with the spring and break because at times the spring gets caught on the plunger of the syringe. If you can get the syringe out with out breaking or getting a spring in the eye, you should have up to three doses available in the syringe. If you still have the spent epi-pen, you can practice cutting it open and see what is inside. Again, be very aware of the spring and understand that epi is a very powerful drug.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016   #14

Don't forget the H2 blockers like Pepcid. H stands for histamine and can be the root cause of anaphylaxis. Prednisone is also a good trick to have in the kit.

Stay safe!!!!!
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #15

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
how do you use the epi?

ArgoCat - If you recover epigen from a used applicator, how do you use what you recover? seems like the applicator is destroyed in the process. Do you carry extra syringes for this purpose, if so, what size? It's strange that they would design the applicator such that not all or at least most of the epigen is distributed, that stuff is super expensive!
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #16

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Prednisone is a good allergy kit item, it helps with the longer term effects of the reaction (hours vs minutes for epi). I would always hit with epi, benadryl, and pred.
Old 07-19-2016   #17

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Prednisone is a good allergy kit item, it helps with the longer term effects of the reaction (hours vs minutes for epi). I would always hit with epi, benadryl, and pred.
Can tell me what specific dose and form of pred you used (I'm not going to take this as guidance - just wondering
Old 07-19-2016   #18

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(13)00094-X/abstract

Here is a video that shows the process. I believe the new syringes inside actually have markings to help you determine the dose. Haven't cracked a one open in a while.
ArgoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #19

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
Can tell me what specific dose and form of pred you used (I'm not going to take this as guidance - just wondering
It has been a long time, but I think it may have been 20 MG, probably 3 times a day (for one day tops). I'd probably do an initial surge of 40 tho, that gives some good punch. It has been so LONG time since I have had to do this, I don't even get it rx'd for allergies anymore so I don't have those instructions. I don't know the form I used to have. Now I have just regular prednisone for RA. Make sure to ask your own allergist or pcp!
Old 07-19-2016   #20

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoCat View Post
http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(13)00094-X/abstract

Here is a video that shows the process. I believe the new syringes inside actually have markings to help you determine the dose. Haven't cracked a one open in a while.
Now that's pretty cool. Plan on doing that with my old ones to see how it all works.