Main Salmon Gauge Help - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2016   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Main Salmon Gauge Help

I found the Whitebird gauge but I'm not sure that's the right one to use as it's currently showing over 4000cfs - which I doubt it is.

What is the best gauge to determine the flow at Corn and then closer to Carey?

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2016   #2

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
What difference does it make really this time of year. Yes the USGS gage at white bird is actually near 4000 cfs. There is always plenty of water to take what ever sized boat you want loaded to the gills down from Corn Creek in Aug and Sept. There is no single gage for the exact flow at Corn Creek, you can estimate it by looking at a couple gages, but there is no reason to for boating concerns. If you just want to figure out what the flow is for giggles or science, that is another story.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
What difference does it make really this time of year. Yes the USGS gage at white bird is actually near 4000 cfs. There is always plenty of water to take what ever sized boat you want loaded to the gills down from Corn Creek in Aug and Sept. There is no single gage for the exact flow at Corn Creek, you can estimate it by looking at a couple gages, but there is no reason to for boating concerns. If you just want to figure out what the flow is for giggles or science, that is another story.
I log starting flow and ending flow of every trip I do so I can match my notes to it. My memory is not that good.
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2016   #4

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
I usually just add both the flow of MFS @shoup and the Main @shoup to get a rough estimate for the main at corn crk. In this case I figure it to be about 2300
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016   #5

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
No worries, I keep a log my self. If you don't care about the actual flow per say, the white bird gage is a fine index of flow, so you can look back a long time in the future and determine if your trip flow as lower, higher or about average flow.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #6

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
For the main I use the Shoup gage in my log. I also note the MFS Lodge and Whitebird just because I can.

I use Whitebird gage for french creek to the snake.

But I do understand the issue. Shoup reads low because it does not include the MFS and whitebird is high.

Yes Whitebird gage is accurate today.