Old 03-03-2014   #11
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks everyone! Our crew is gonna push through the cold and high water and go down.

tmaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014   #12
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Hi from Salida - We are launching on a 6/27 permit from Corn, using up-river jetboat shuttle from Carey to put in. I have run it mid-June at very high water level, coming off a MF trip, @ maybe 55K, that's 55,000 cfs on the Main. River at that level is bank full, just stay in the middle and stear. Get this - we covered 52 miles total from last camp on MF trip to our first camp on Main in about 3 1/2 hours. This year I am tracking the flows daily, and I think we will have about 4-5 ft at Corn gauge for our trip, and much higher for any mid-June trips, maybe in the 6-8 ft levels, depending on how the melt goes. Consult the USFS hydro charts, and "difficulty at different water levels" avl on their site (google "salmon river usfs"). LOTS of snow up high, several ft on the SNOTEL reports, MF road still blocked by snow, avalanches, etc. If you look on the site where you still have to log in for a pre-season June 19th launch, I noticed there were over 30 groups logged for launch that day! Most will not show, but that week all total there were maybe 100 launches with pre-season permits logged. Could be wild even finding a camp. Anyway, here is summary, sorry to ramble: for 6/19 expect quite high water, with potential for big jumps due to rain (could hit epic levels), very do-able for the rapids and camps, but Whiplash over 7-8 ft turns into a funneled nightmare; at about 5-6 ft Chitam will be your biggest rapid, with huge waves out in the middle, wall chaos on the left, cut right to miss, and scout it. Also, plan for rain, cold rain, gotta have a good kitchen tarp, good tent, and bomber raincoat. If it is sunny, consider it a Godsend, it's glorious when it shines up there! Drop a line back, does that help? Bob

Originally Posted by View Post
I'm looking for an educated guess from someone with Mid June experience. What should I expect for June 19 water conditions and weather on the main salmon.

Bobby Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote