Old 07-22-2015   #21
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by screamingeagle View Post
We stopped and looked at Black Creek.
I talked to a guide, later in the trip, who said "we ALWAYS look at Black Creek". I guess it's considered still to be evolving.
I almost went left, but then noticed a rock sticking up out of the water right in the middle of the line. It looked like it could potentially rip your floor since you would be going really fast at that point. It was right in the middle and would have been hard to avoid.
When I ran it last September (a little below 4Kcfs at Whitebird), that rock was there (in the middle of the left side) but there still seemed to be a lot of water going over it. We watched another trip, who didn't bother scouting, and most of them just went right over it, without mishap.

I (more or less inadvertently) did whatever you call that move where you pull out of the tongue right after the entry, and as the slack water catches your stern,it pivots the boat around. So I ran right of the rock. Nice run, for which I take little credit

As an aside, at those flows, I thought the most potentially dangerous thing on the river was Bailey, where (as RiverMaps book says) a big hole forms at the bottom of the tongue at fairly specific flows. We didn't scout, but fortunately, as our lead boat tried to sneak on the right, he got stuck in the rocks, so we did an accidental scout and saw the hole. I did a very similar move to what I described above for Black Creek, and it worked out nicely. Probably not really a big enough hole to flip if you hit it square though, especially as fast as you'd be going at that point.

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #22
Missoula, Montana
Ran it and left and let the water do the work around the rock as well.

So how are the Yellowjackets shaping up this year?
Got a launch on the 14th with an Epi-pen ready to go.

Wavewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015   #23
Orem, Utah
Paddling Since: 2014
Hole on the right line!

Sent from my XT1080 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1438286578332.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	10346  
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015   #24
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Avoid popular camps

Originally Posted by Wavewrangler View Post
Ran it and left and let the water do the work around the rock as well.

So how are the Yellowjackets shaping up this year?
Got a launch on the 14th with an Epi-pen ready to go.
The yellowjacket population is not as bad as 2013 but it is becoming an issue at popular camps. We stayed at smaller camps and only had a problem at Swimming Hole. Launched recently at .4.
cmharris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015   #25
port angeles, Washington
Paddling Since: 1977
A nice layover camp.....

There are a bunch of good hikes on the Salmon but one you might enjoy is a layover at lower Lantz or Fawn Creek. This gives you access to Fawn Point, the trail is a bit overgrown and easy to miss if you don't look for it.It goes up about 3000 feet for some great views.

A couple for rapids to watch out for at low water are Growler and Ludwig, they are filled in at most levels but show their teeth at low water.

kanuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015   #26
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I just got off the main we had plenty of thunderstorms which kept the flow up. Yellow jackets were pesky and plentiful several of us got stung. Make sure you have decent rain tarps, we moved along layover day was not necessary. Upper Yellow Pine is a nice camp non reservable. I did it once at -7 on the gauge (about 1400cfs) we made it but it was a bump and grind everyone got stuck at one point or another. Wave trains were not as much fun but it is still fun. Spend a little time familiarizing yourself with the camps so you can make good reservable choices. There are some good resources on the web.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015   #27
Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
Btw we ran black rock on the right. Usually we run it left, nice green tongue with one easy pull to avoid a hole we had a much cleaner run than those running left. One outfitter nearly flipped a paddle raft on the left dump trucked a few passengers. There are some big holes starting to form on the left. Be sure to scout. Mallard was the usual left run a little bony but totally doable sweep boats were taking it left.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015   #28
Caw! Caw!
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Yep, I just got off the Main, too. Lots of yellowjackets. We had good luck with the kind of traps that you fill halfway with water; one night we must have caught 50-60 of them with one trap. The weather was unpredictable -- cold and rainy for a couple of days and nights, then blazing hot for a few days. Be prepared for anything.

And yeah, I took the right side run on Black Creek as well. Look it over, and see what looks best. One guy in our party ran the left side, but the right looked a lot more forgiving at the flow level we had.

AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote