Main Salmon - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2016   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Main Salmon

We just got off the MS this past saturday and all I can say is wow. You folks that are in striking distance to this river (roll in the MFS, payette, etc) are truly blessed.

The combination of water clarity, rapids, camps, scenery, swim-ability and much more - was, in my book - the perfect family trip.

Can't wait for my next trip up there.

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2016   #2

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Just did our first trip up there in late June. A bit higher water (and colder) than yours, but we had a blast as well. Little to no bugs, clear water, streams pouring in left and right. Awesome! Rapids were a bit more mellow than I was expecting, but we were past peak flows. My only complaint (and now I'm nit picking) was there was a huge amount of poison ivy there. I gather this year was about as bad as it has ever been. Pretty much around every camp. My wife is fairly allergic so we didn't do much hiking, but all else was great.

Have said all that praise, when I throw in drive-time downside, I'll still take Lodore over anything for those of us in Colorado. That Lodore canyon is magical!
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #3

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
ya Idaho is sweet not to mention all the hot spings one can soak in both on the rivs and after.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #4

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
I need to put an end to this tread. (-: I am glade that you all enjoyed Idaho. But Idaho sucks. All the camp spots are hard to land and step to pack. You'll never get a permit cuz its like 1 in a million so don't even try. Its just over rated.

Now Colorado is where its at! Its waaaay closer to all the mega population centers on the east coast so they can just fly right into Denver on the cheap and get access to the rocky mtn good life. Talk about clean air and fresh water. Lots of great vendors to rent what ever you don't have.

Idaho just pales in comparison to Colorado. Like my daddy used to say. Why go to Idaho when Colorado is closer and way more epic!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016   #5

Bazzaro, World
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivh2o View Post
ya Idaho is sweet not to mention all the hot spings one can soak in both on the rivs and after.
All the hot springs in Idaho are loaded with red spider mites. That's why you itch so much after soaking. BC has the sweet soaks! The cold winters kill bugs and good beer.... ohhh, I can what. Plus the exchange rate makes going to BC the best! I need to get the herd together for a BC run before Trump becomes prez and you build a wall. Hehehehe..
Old 08-01-2016   #6

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
I need to put an end to this tread. (-: I am glade that you all enjoyed Idaho. But Idaho sucks. All the camp spots are hard to land and step to pack. You'll never get a permit cuz its like 1 in a million so don't even try. Its just over rated.

Now Colorado is where its at! Its waaaay closer to all the mega population centers on the east coast so they can just fly right into Denver on the cheap and get access to the rocky mtn good life. Talk about clean air and fresh water. Lots of great vendors to rent what ever you don't have.

Idaho just pales in comparison to Colorado. Like my daddy used to say. Why go to Idaho when Colorado is closer and way more epic!
Actually.....Colorado is pretty bad too. All the rivers have tons of silt in them - everything is on fire and all rivers are dam controlled.

If you are looking for world class whitewater and great camping - I would suggest any of the 5 boroughs of NYC - especially Queens.
Old 08-01-2016   #7

p.c., confused
Oh and Maryland I hear the floods are epic.
Old 08-01-2016   #8

Bazzaro, World
We are all living in the best the world has to offer! We are lucky people. (-;
Old 08-01-2016   #9

p.c., confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
We are all living in the best the world has to offer! We are lucky people. (-;
si si
Old 08-11-2016   #10

Hailey, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2003
Good to hear!

Andrew,

Glad you had an amazing trip on the MS. We launch for our MS trip on Sept. 6th and it's been difficult to focus on anything but as it approaches.

I just noticed you're from Niwot. I worked at Crocs in Niwot for quite a few years before moving up to Sun Valley, Idaho in early 2015. I love CO but I definitely do not miss that drive up and back from Denver everyday!
DriftaBit is offline   Reply With Quote