Old 08-14-2014   #11
Canmore, People's Republic of Alberta
Paddling Since: 1982
Damn the torpedos we are going to the lower salmon. Will report back with pictures from Dante's Inferno.

Fingers crossed all goes well!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Bruce from Canmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014   #12
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
can't wait to hear how it worked out for you. I'm bummed I missed out on it, but ended up playing on the Sunbeam and Piece 'o Cake stretches up by Stanley (was nice and relaxing, lots of fun. and the weather was great, curious if the rain helped the fires on the lower Salmon)

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #13
Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Switch and Swap

We had a Lower Salmon trip planned for the 14th-19th but the fire was making us nervous. I saw a cancelation on the Main Salmon for the same launch date. It was a shorter drive for us and we decided to do it. 15 of us total and it was a good thing because as we were driving to corn creek we had to move 5 or 6 ponderosas and then re build about 30ft of road as they reported 0.7inch of rain in 30min and one of the canyons about 10 miles from the ramp blew out and took the road with it. 2 hours of rock stacking and road planing later we were headed to the boat ramp. Heavy rains and creeks blowing out as well as the rain fire made for a interesting 5days on the Main. I guess that is why it is called WILD and scenic. All in all another amazing Salmon trip!
wasatchnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #14
Canmore, People's Republic of Alberta
Paddling Since: 1982
All good on the Lower Salmon. Put on at 6900 cfs on the 16th. Levels dropped a bit each day but flows were good. No issues with the fires but some interesting burnt scenery on the last 2 days. A few properties on the Snake were lost to the fires. Yellowjackets were mildly pesky at Hammer Creek and our first camp (lone pine?) but not much of an issue after that.

Fishing was a non-starter because of the mudslide sediment coming from upstream. The only clear water was at the confluence with the Snake.

A great trip and the kids loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Bruce from Canmore is offline   Reply With Quote