Lower Gunnison River Camping Below Whitewater - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-27-2016   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Lower Gunnison River Camping Below Whitewater

I'd like take a night or two on the lower Gunnison River below Whitewater. This stretch is rarely used, from what I can tell, and there isn't much information on camping in this section. Does anyone know if there are established BLM campsites below Whitewater, or where the private land is to avoid?

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016   #2
Skibum66

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Not that I've heard of. There is z diversion dam 15 miles below Whitewater tho.

Rich
Skikbum66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016   #3
KegFloat

West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I'd call Ed Franz at the BLM office in Montrose and he could dial you in. If there isn't he'll let you know what other options you may have.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapStyx View Post
I'd call Ed Franz at the BLM office in Montrose and he could dial you in. If there isn't he'll let you know what other options you may have.
Thanks, my long lost boating friend. I believe I'm going to paddle this section on Saturday in order to scout out possibilities, that is, after I call Ed this week. Care to join in?
Old 08-31-2016   #5
KegFloat

West Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I'd recognize that pirate flag anywhere! I would Timothy but I tweeked my back last weekend. I'll sit this one out. Thanks for the invite. Let me know what Ed says. Hope all is well! We miss you out here!
Old 08-31-2016   #6

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I recall a decent looking camp below Rough Canyon Rapid on the Left. Never camped there, though.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #7

Grand Junction, Colorado
Get Together Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapStyx View Post
Hope all is well! We miss you out here!
All is wonderful! Thanks! I didn't get a chance to call Ed today and will try to make that happen before Friday. Super busy... But! I have the day off this Saturday and I will let you know what I find. I have some leads from Mike in GJ that I'm going to sniff out and I will hopefully find a beautiful place to hang for a couple of days in October. Peace brother.
Old 08-31-2016   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
Where's Rough Canyon Rapid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
I recall a decent looking camp below Rough Canyon Rapid on the Left. Never camped there, though.
Thanks Mike! I was hoping that you'd come through with a response. Seems like you know the Gunny well. In the 12 mile scheme of the stretch between Whitewater and Redlands Dam, where is Rough Canyon rapid in mileage; and what can you tell me about public lands on each side?