Old 09-04-2014   #1
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
lower gunnison

Hi, I'm new to the buzz, great forum. I need some help, I want to float the lower Gunnison from pleasure park to delta.Next weekend primarily for fishing. I can't find any reliable Intel on the take-out. Where is it, etc. Any info on the entire lower Gunnison would help, are the any maps that I can get?

doublehaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #2
Pleasant Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Welcome, the take out on the Gunnison River in Delta is Confluence Park. It is pretty easy to find.

Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #3
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
There are two takeout options. One is right next to the bridge in Austin. The other is Confluence park as stated above. At the Austin bridge you may encounter a sign that warns of a waterfall ahead. This refers to a diversion dam that has since been ubdated with a boat passage. I have not run through this dam yet, but it looks fine. Might be a little rough for a canoe.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
There is also a takeout at Orchard, administered by blm. On your way to pleasure after crossing river on highway you will see signs for Gunnison gorge. Turn right and go south about half a mile. Turn left, go a few mile through adobe badlands. Will come on top of a hill with parking lot and the road forks. Take the left fork,which takes you to orchard boat ramp. Ramp is a little sandy, but pretty good. It is about six miles below pleasure. It is on river left about a half mile past an orchard you see on the river. The other two takeout options are longer floats. If you are trout fishing a couple miles below orchard the water is pretty warm and you see fewer trout. PM if you want more info
gunniflyfisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014   #5
Ridgway, Colorado
The takeout at austin bridge is for duckies or canoes only as there is a steep climb over rocks to do it. The takeout that mikepart is speaking of with the waterfall sign is the Highway 65 bridge to Cedaredge and is another 3 or so miles downstream of the Austin Bridge. It has a ramp that you can get a trailer close to. Another 2.5 miles below the Cedaredge bridge is the "Waterfall" the sign warns of. It is actually a diversion dam and has a boat run left of center. The confluence takeout is a short ways below the dam. There is a BLM campsite river right just above this diversion. Double Haul if you have any more questions give a call to the BLM river office 970-240-5312.
rmathis27 is offline   Reply With Quote