Low Water Selway IK Trip - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2016   #1

Ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2003
Low Water Selway IK Trip

Hi Buzzards,
The good news: a friend scored a July 29 Selway permit and we're invited. The bad news: Idaho snowpack seems to be melting crazy fast. We seem to be headed for well under one foot by late July, and possibly closer to 0.5 feet.

What we'd originally planned as a light weight raft trip has now morphed into a plan to run the Selway in IK's, backpacking style. I've rafted it three times, from about 1.5 feet to 2.6 feet, but never in IK's.

Would love to hear about anybody's experiences running IK's low water on the Selway. Things that work, things that don't, particulary rapids that might be a problem in IK's, etc. Is there a level below which even an IK trip would be so much of boat dragging thrash that you wouldn't recommend it?

Thanks much,
Dave

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016   #2

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
we launch 2 days before you on the 27th so I will be watching this thread.. I plan on taking a 10.5' foot raft but I do have an IK as a backup..
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2006
How many days are you planning on floating? A buddy and I are launching on 8/1 or 8/2 in IK's. Seems like the flows aren't great, but are doable!
peakseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #4

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Things really are not that bad water wise. Late low water selway is great IK boating. I don't think you'll have any issues what so ever. Except bugs. You don't even need to go too light. Sure leave the sink but be comfy.

I would not be surprised if you could still slide a small raft (maybe 14') with beer on 8/1.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #5

salmon, Idaho
it's at 0.3 feet today.. Our permit holder canceled the trip.. there have been permits popping up daily for the last two weeks for the selway..
Old 07-25-2016   #6

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by codycleve View Post
Our permit holder canceled the trip..
So sorry to hear. Its that time of year. PPL hope for water that never comes. Take a look at the MFS August drops. 21! If this trend continues outfitters will get another launch per day on the MFS and private parties will lose one in a couple years.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #7

Ashland, Oregon
Once it dropped to 0.3 feet we decided to cancel our 8/29 launch, even in IK's. Our previous low water trips, and talking to the river ranger, helped us decide the first two days would be too much of a thrash.
Old 07-28-2016   #8
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
So sorry to hear. Its that time of year. PPL hope for water that never comes. Take a look at the MFS August drops. 21! If this trend continues outfitters will get another launch per day on the MFS and private parties will lose one in a couple years.
Tru dat.

Why in the hell would you book a permit in August or early September and expect a certain level of water. It is low. It will always be low. And that will never change.

I try not to think disparagingly of my fellow boaters but to the folks who are doing these cancellations that won't be reissued....you are assholes. Don't book that permit if you aren't sure you can go. Sorry you guys aren't making the Selway. It is such a treat to get on that river at whatever level.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #9

salmon, Idaho
I was pretty bumbed that the trip fell apart but at 0.3 I think I would have been walking my boat.. I watched hours of video earlier this year when there was still snow and was hoping for 1' to .8'. I couldn't find any footage below 0.7 for rafts and 0.5 for ik's.

On the plus side I launch on the middle fork in a week.. hoping to still have 1.8' but going off the top no matter what it deals me..
Old 07-28-2016   #10

Ashland, Oregon
Putting in on Middle Fork August 5, also hoping for 1.8 or so - it might seem like big water compared to 0.3 on the Selway! We decided to fly coolers in to Indian Creek, but are rowing off the top!