Low Water Selway IK Trip - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2016   #11

Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Putting in on Middle Fork August 5, also hoping for 1.8 or so - it might seem like big water compared to 0.3 on the Selway! We decided to fly coolers in to Indian Creek, but are rowing off the top!
You can row off the top with coolers and beer if you don't have cold weather camping gear and 25 cast iron dutch ovens in your kitchen box. I don't even bring a tent this time of year.

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016   #12
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
You can row off the top with coolers and beer if you don't have cold weather camping gear and 25 cast iron dutch ovens in your kitchen box. I don't even bring a tent this time of year.
that's funny. but I have seen 'class 4' boaters ( whatever the hell that means) get their ass handed to them on the MF at just below 2 feet. Not sure what they were doing, but they just couldn't figure out the timing of only getting one oar stroke here or there. Completely gassed by Trail Flat. Plenty of time to make Sheepeater but it could have gone bad in Powerhouse. So we camped there.

So if he wants to keep the flying services going....that's cool with me.
And it will be easier. No doubt.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #13

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
We are launching Aug 6th so we will just miss you... we are not flying anything in but have a great boat to people ratio with 8 boats and 12 people.. going to do the two short days plan before indian creek then pick up the pace a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb1 View Post
Putting in on Middle Fork August 5, also hoping for 1.8 or so - it might seem like big water compared to 0.3 on the Selway! We decided to fly coolers in to Indian Creek, but are rowing off the top!
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #14

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
[QUOTE=carvedog;441012]Tru dat.

I try not to think disparagingly of my fellow boaters but to the folks who are doing these cancellations that won't be reissued....you are assholes. Don't book that permit if you aren't sure you can go.

I made a similar remark about the know-nothings who apply for and win the August/ Sept. permits only to cancel because of low water. Those permits are lost forever; do some of us not get this? Some here thought my comments were a bit harsh at the time but I agree with the above sentiment completely.

I have written to the FS asking them to consider re-issuing the cancelled permit to a 4-5 boat max trip just to keep that month open to at least a few private boaters. That concept fell onto deaf ears. Perhaps if more buzz folk would speak up the FS might listen? Just an idea.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote