Old 09-23-2013   #11
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I wouldn't worry about finding a camp on the Snake. It seemed that once you clear the first few miles to Geneva (I think that's its name) Bar, then there was a fair abundance of camps.

I thought all the rapids had obvious lines when we were out there a few weeks ago at 3500.

We had a raft flip at 50 / 50. I had a clean run down the right side following the sweep of the curve, but the guy behind me tried the middle and found something to flip on. I suspect he just wasn't paying attention.

Snow Hole had a lot of rocks exposed. My first impression when scouting from the left was to target my start at 30' off the right. When I got out there, I found that to be pushing too hard to the right into an arrow shaped rock. I audibled and pulled to the rock in the middle, going just to the right of that, then further right towards the bottom for something of a left to right run.

brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013   #12
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Just came off Hell's Canyon to Heller Bar yesterday. We had a 4 MPH current or better almost the entire way from from the confluence of the Salmon to within 4 miles of Heller Bar. (At which point we dropped to 2 MPH if we drifted.)

Also only saw one float trip between Hell's and Pitt and one group landed 20 minutes after us at Heller. Outside of the sleds running up and down the river we had the place to ourselves.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013   #13
Grangeville, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Originally Posted by lexey View Post
Water sources along the way?
There is a spring just above Pipeline Rapid on river right - 22 miles from Hammer Creek or about 30.8 miles from the confluence. Bring a small PVC tube or pipe of some kind if you're planning on filling up there. Other than that, treat the water in the side streams - there is a lot of agriculture on the top of the canyons

Turner is offline   Reply With Quote