looking for 4 spots on grand canyon permit 1,2,3 July 2017 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 10-12-2016   #1

hawthorn east, australia
Paddling Since: 1987
looking for 4 spots on grand canyon permit 1,2,3 July 2017

G'day
My name is Theo Kossart and I am the trip leader of a small size Grand Canyon permit launch on the 2nd of July. We are 2 families of 4 from Australia and are experienced boaters.
We have another family of 4 that would like to join us.
I am looking for a standard size permit holder for the 1, 2 or 3 July that has 4 spots available on their permit. The family of 4 would nominally be on your permit but would be independent of your group. They would join up with us on the river.
If you can help us out that would be great.
Regards
Theo Kossart
tknp@iprimus.com.au

theokossart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I don't think it works that way.

People on the same permit have to stay with their group and camp at the same camps. You could potentially try to find a standard size group that is willing to share camps each day I suppose but I suspect its a long shot with only one other private trip launching each day.

You never know though... maybe ask on the Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association page... Forums | Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #3

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
The NPS Grand Canyon regulations state that no time can you have more than the number of people on your permit on the river at the same time.
The small size trips were added to "fit in" trips during the summer months with the hope that they would use smaller camps and not impact the larger private and commercial trips.

See below from the regulations:

H. Trip Size. Noncommercial river trips shall carry no more than 16 persons for a standard group or 8 persons for a small group at any point within the trip (total includes the Trip Leader/permittee and all passengers). People traveling under one permit must travel and camp together and occupy only one beach. It is permissible to split up the trip for the purpose of a loop hike, however, the trip must rejoin and camp together. Trips may not separate for the purpose of securing campsites ahead of other groups.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
I don't think they will even allow you to trade permits with a large group. More than likely....your stuck with the group size you've got. Best to contact them directly and see if you can work something out.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #5

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
If you all were caught by a ranger doing that, you all would be up to your eye balls in kangaroo dung.
Old 10-13-2016   #6

I could be totally wrong.... but my bet is this becomes a cancellation or an unused permit. Next they will be looking for a 'guide'. Keep your heads up!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you keep the children in their pouches at all times do they count towards the group count?
Fumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #8

hawthorn east, australia
Paddling Since: 1987
thanks for all the replies... but geez I think I opened a can of worms.... guess I have learnt a bit about the finer points of where regulation meets boating
theokossart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #9

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Have a great 8 person trip, I wish I was one of the lucky 8
Old 10-14-2016   #10

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Yes, the forum is pretty consistently going to let you know in a hurry when you ask for people to break the regulations for float permits. In general it is best to take the time to actually read the regulations regarding the trips you intend to float, and then abide by them.

I think that you will find little sympathy or help from others if you fail that basic first step. If you are not the trip leader, I understand.

With that negative stuff out of the way, have a great trip! I just wish that I was on that trip this next year!