Old 06-06-2014   #21
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
if you decline a search, You'll have 5 squad car and 3 dogs circling your car faster than you can eat a bag of Colorado cookies. Just get a jar of peanut butter and peal back the foil seal. Hollow out the peanut butter, insert double bag of what ever, cover with peanut butter, melt bp in the sun to get factory look and super glue foil seal back on. Twist lid on tight and store next to unopened new jar of jelly and wonder bread! Don't be smoking on the road and let them search your car.
Good advice. I have been known to use this method when visiting the parents out of state. It can be messy when removing the package after transport though..

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #22
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can of Pringles. Make joints. Make false bottom. Reapply Chips. Done.

climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #23
Denver, Colorado
The lawyer in me can't help but chime in: the case law in Wyoming appears to indicate that smell is enough for a search. This is based on the case of Vassar v. State, 99 P.3d 987 (Wyo. 2004). I'm not licensed to practice law in Wyoming, so it's just a boater-to-boater heads-up on what I could find. Good luck in your travels, and have fun.
Sitting Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #24
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Good advice. I have been known to use this method when visiting the parents out of state. It can be messy when removing the package after transport though..
Peanut butter got me through 2 searches. 1st in the early 90's on a full vehicle search at the Canadian boarder and the other late 90's from a gun ho deputy in Valley county with a chip on his should. I survived 3 cops and a dog! I did have a 1/5 of lite rum with the seal cracked and 1 shot gone in a duffel bag in the back of my truck and the deputy was all stoked to write me an open container. In court the judge said that he didn't believe that I violated the intend of the open container law and gave me a $5 fine and court cost. But looking back I think to open container victory for the deputy gave him a reason to stop his 1 hour search??
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #25
pnw, Washington
I just got back from a trip where we hit Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Utah and then back home. No stops and even made it with no speeding tickets.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #26
Edmond, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1988
Let's keep our secrets a secret. The sheriffs psychopath convention is in Utah this weekend. I think they can read.
robfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #27
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I lived in MT with Colorado plates for a year and made the trip back and forth 5 or 6 times with greenies. Before getting MT plates...
I was stopped in Idaho Falls and some other backwoods ID town for failing to signal in a merge lane, and for my car making a "suspicious noise" Whatever the fuck that means... (although I'll admit it - my car did sound like shit). Neither ended in a search, but I was a 22 yr. old girl with a corgi puppy - if I had been a van full of dudes and kayaks I'm 99% sure the outcome would've been different both times.

With those plates I also got pulled over in WY 3 times (along I-25), all for going a brisk walk (less than 4 mph) over the speed limit. Was also offered a roadside "cash deal" by some cop outside of Cody... he literally told me I could settle (cash only) on the side of the road. ??? One of those ended in a search because I had a crushed beer can in the backseat on the floor, even after blowing a 0.0. He still decided to search me with zero probable cause for drugs.

So yeah... heads up in those states... the cops there suck a big one.
trickpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #28
i have an idea, maybe it has been posted before?

maybe if you don't break the law none of this will be an issue!
spencerhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #29
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by spencerhenry View Post
i have an idea, maybe it has been posted before?

maybe if you don't break the law none of this will be an issue!
Cause this is America and laws are meant to be broken, well outdated hey you can't do that laws at least.
Now murder, rape, theft, violence and related laws, yeah lets keep those.
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014   #30
peoria, Arizona
Spent a couple of slow nights in Bluff watching

the police pull over non-local vehicles about as fast as they could. Several an hour. Don't recall any searches but this would have been before any legality change. My guess is that it was strictly a revenue generation program. That one weekend it was pretty much non-stop turn-signal, 5 mph over issues.

deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote